The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 Elise - Engine just stopped like the key was shut. Coasted to stop, key off / key on... starts but I think I felt it shut again briefly. 20 miles since... did not recur. A/C may have been on at the time and it does not make cold air... probably charged leaked out. Thoughts?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh scan shows no codes except P0139 and 141 from bad downstream O-2 that has been n/g for a month.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
it's been known to happen. Mine did it once in 7 years after I hit an expansion joint - check your battery connections

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cleaned battery connections. It happened again for 4 or 5 seconds. Any ideas? Can the immobilizer have anything to do with these symptons?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Can also be ECU connectors. I had a loose one that only affected fuel pump power.

·
shay2nak
25,133 Posts
only time this happened to me was when I was coasting in neutral and was idling. The infamous stalling idle also happens when the car is moving.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've had this happen with my 06 Elise. I know it is the AC relay doing it on my car. I don't use the AC very often, when I do it will make the engine stumble occasionally. Once when driving with the AC on the engine completely died. I was still moving at ~40 mph and tried dropping the clutch, which didn't work. I then tried the 'start' button, which also didn't work. I had to turn the key completely off then on again before the engine would start. I need to replace the relay in the front passenger wheel well.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
My 05 will VERY rarely start stumbling when coasting to a stop in neutral. If I don't give it some gas a couple times, it will eventually stall.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've had this happen with my 06 Elise. I know it is the AC relay doing it on my car. I don't use the AC very often, when I do it will make the engine stumble occasionally. Once when driving with the AC on the engine completely died. I was still moving at ~40 mph and tried dropping the clutch, which didn't work. I then tried the 'start' button, which also didn't work. I had to turn the key completely off then on again before the engine would start. I need to replace the relay in the front passenger wheel well.
That's http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/att...ns-c-relay-location-tsb-2006-20-ac-module.pdf .

Lotus say it only happens to "some 06" cars, though, and OP has an '07. Knowing Lotus that could still be the problem, but worth noting.

My 06 does it too, but it's just a brief ~1-2sec fuel cut rather than a full "car died" when it happens. A new relay or the DIY "add more diodes" fix is on my list once the car isn't apart for some other reason...

wdonovan - try driving around for a while with no A/C. Does it act weird still?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the A/C was off when this happened. Not sure. But it def happened one time with A/C off. This is not the idle stall. 4 times so far, I am cruising with light throttle. There are no bumps, smooth pavement. The engine shuts like I turned the key. Then it may restart in 4 or 5 seconds. Radio and lights did not go off so it is not main power to entire car.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
My 05 has done it twice in my 7+ years of ownership. Both times it had happened I had just pushed the clutch and while coasting the car just died. Had to turn the ignition off and back on to get it restarted. As stated above, my electronics remained on and just the engined had died as well. My AC was running at the time of both occurrences.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Checked inertia switch. It clicked a little so I thought it halfwqay triggered. No luck. Now it happens at idle sometimes, happens as a stumble that won't leave til it stalls and I push the starter, when it dies it takes a second or 2 from idle with a def stumble first. Really sounds like fuel pump related. Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At this point I really suspect fuel pump relay or its connections. Seems like when it quits now it never restarts like it used to. It needs a defib in the form of clutching, letting the engine die completely and pressing the starter button. This does something to, I think, re-energize the fuel pump. Anyone know where this relay is located and how I can identify it? Elec diags and component location do not seem to have it.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
The fuel pump relay module is on top of one of the front wheel well liners (can't remember which side). It has a blue case.

The immobilizer is in the cabin behind the driver's seat, under the bulkhead trim panel.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks a bunch. Ima check conns, starting with the relay. Ima also put a fuel pres sender on the fuel rail so I can monitor if f.p. goes to zero when this happens.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So... would anyone like to know what actually caused this which was the weirdest electrical problem I have had since my heart got arrhythmic?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts