The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I had my new Exige S for 1 month now and have found on several occasions while slowing to a stop the engine revs drop below 500-600 and the engine stops, on other occasions its revs drop low then the idle response revs the engine up to say 1500 before the revs drop back to idle.
it does seem to happen if you stop more suddenly.
service department tells me this is a normal response
Have others experienced this and is it my driving or the lotus ??
thanks warren

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi I had my new Exige S for 1 month now and have found on several occasions while slowing to a stop the engine revs drop below 500-600 and the engine stops, on other occasions its revs drop low then the idle response revs the engine up to say 1500 before the revs drop back to idle.
it does seem to happen if you stop more suddenly.
service department tells me this is a normal response
Have others experienced this and is it my driving or the lotus ??
thanks warren
Warren,

My 2007 S did this from day 1. Had the dealer reflash me to the latest and greatest and rarely if ever have a problem now.

During normal driving and such, it almost never happened but...after coming off the motorway, and coming to a stop it would stutter then stall.....

When you take it in for the first service or oil change, have them give you the current ecu reflash....am sure it will take care of the problem.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I once had an issue with my NA Elise engine stuttering at idle. Had the throttle body cleaned and it fixed it.

No idea if this is your issue, but no harm in checking it.

·
Registered
907 Posts
engage the clutch a little earler

sorry had to say it

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
This is a fairly common problem and there are many threads about the stalling. Some have reported success with the reflash, others (including myself with my former 07 S) have not.

There is a lot of speculation about the cause - vacuume leak, ac relay, tune - no one has definatively pinpointed the source and therefore some may be experiencing the same symptom due to different root causes. This isn't exclusive to 07 S's and has been identified on 08 240's as well.

I would suggest letting the dealer reflash the ECU with the latest update...if that doesn't work, either keep on them or learn to live with it ( I know that shouldn't be an acceptable solution but since it has now been a few years and there hasn't been a solution, what else can you do?)

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
engage the clutch a little earler

sorry had to say it
actually you have something there. Seems to me the car doesn't like a fast push of the clutch pedal as you come to a stop. You have to ease it in a little slowly as to not disrupt whatever it is that gets disrupted. LOL Maybe a sudden stop messes with the MAF sensor readings. Even in a sudden stop I depress the clutch slowly. Try it and see if it helps. At least for me the revs never jump or drop. Something I had noticed...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
actually you have something there. Seems to me the car doesn't like a fast push of the clutch pedal as you come to a stop. You have to ease it in a little slowly as to not disrupt whatever it is that gets disrupted. LOL Maybe a sudden stop messes with the MAF sensor readings. Even in a sudden stop I depress the clutch slowly. Try it and see if it helps. At least for me the revs never jump or drop. Something I had noticed...
Interesting point...the only consistent variable I could see on my former 07 was the car was on usually on some kind of incline or angle (even a very - very slight one sometimes).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Interesting point...the only consistent variable I could see on my former 07 was the car was on usually on some kind of incline or angle (even a very - very slight one sometimes).
Same here, that was always the case with mine. I could drive it around town for 25 minutes with no stalls and pull up to my cousins driveway (steep incline) and stall out. :shrug:

wmcintosh...how many miles are on your Lotus? Many members have told me don't worry about it, it will work itself out. I have about 4500 miles on my 2008 S240 and it RARELY ever stalls anymore. Worst I get is some severe idol hunting but I haven't had a stall in a couple months now. So, so far it has worked itself out, but if you're like me I still don't like the fact that there's a potential for my car to stall.

Good luck with the fix.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
As you said it does work itself out over time as mine did the same thing. One thing I learned was if you left the clutch not engaged at a spot it did not stall. So just try leaving it in neutral and coast to a stop. It should stay running and over time you will not have the issue at all. The AC / fan causes it to stall also or makes it worse but try the clutch trick...

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Same problem here. It gets worst when the weather is warm. Sometimes it will stall at every red light unless I keep blipping the throttle. Got the latest flash and it made it worst :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
I found that in most cases, along with the "C" program flash, if you reseal the s/c output and replace all 4 injector seals the stalling issues cease. In a few cases where these repairs didn't completely stop the stalling I changed the intake manifold gasket. Doing that didn't fix every car either. In all cases doing the S/C output and injector seals made the stalling lessen quite a bit. There is a TSB from Lotus about the S/C output reseal. I pulled the injectors on one of these problem cars and found that the sealing surface looked a little uneven. I replaced them to see the results and it helped immensely on this particular car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow - I've been having this problem since I've gotten the car as well. Didn't realize it was quite THAT common. FVMC did that computer flash update thingy and it was fine for a while and just died out again the other day when pulling into my garage. As for me as well, it only seems to happen when I'm going up my very steep driveway and kind of feathering back and forth between the clucth and gas until the garage door opens. So since it only happens once I'm in the garage and parked and about to shut the car off anyway, it doesn't really bother me that there is no fix.

·
Registered
425 Posts
could it be a tps (throttle position sensor) issue.. if there is one i mean.. losse wire, tps rewire maybe fix the issue? i wouldn't be pleased with this always happening..

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Yeah my 08 240 did it at almost every stop, they reflashed me 3 times and it did eventually get better. I'm over 4k now and it only stalls 1 time a day when driving and coming to a stop. Some days,not at all. It def got better as the motor loosened up some.

·
2006 SportElise #9
268 Posts
My 2006 LotusSport Elise had the same problem. It took 2 ECU reflashes and replacement of the engine wiring harness to correct mine.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I have a sneaking suspicion that this stalling issue would be much easier to solve if Lotus went back to the good ol' steel throttle cable. I'm no engineer, and I'm sure Lotus had their reasons, but it seems to me that switching to a DBW system was lame. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
But if it is the DBW, why aren't N/A Exiges, Elises or Supercharged Elises doing this? They have DBW too. It seems it is only the intercooled Exiges that I am hearing are doing this.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.