The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday as I revved past 5000rpm with a warm engine there was a very brief hesitation and then the engine carried on up the revs. I tried again in 2nd gear and the same thing happened, twice this time, and then the engine management tell tale light came on. The idle speed is fine and it is really only a very slight hesitation - doesn't happen at all in first. I will take it in to get checked ASAP, but I wondered if anyone could shed some light on the problem in the meantime.

Cheers!:confused:

Martin

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Start by making sure your air filter is clean. That may not be it, but your description is consistent with a clogged filter, and it is a cheap fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, I had a look at the filter and there was quite a lot of crap in there so gave it a bit of a clean and emptied the air box. That has made the situation much better but there is still a tiny hesitation at high revs - not even every time and barely noticeable unless you are looking for it. Could this still be an induction problem? I have been driving in a lot of heavy rain recently. Maybe a K&N air filter would sort it?

Also the engine management light is still on, but I guess it doesn't clear when you have registered a fault a number of times.

Thanks again.

Martin

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If your filter was that dirty, I suggest replacing it. Just banging or blowing it out won't completely clean it. You can go the K&N or Green filter route, or just get a standard paper filter while you decide if you want a more expensive reusable one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - taking it to garage on Tuesday anyway (want to make sure it is not something more serious) and not going anywhere until then. I will probably upgrade the filter - they don't look too expensive.

Martin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts