The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

here is the question:

I want to fit a porsche 944 turbo engine that I had built for a track car, the engine was never installed it, it produces about 475BHP and although the pistion cylinder bank is on the right, instead of on the left like the lotus 910, they seem about the same size, I was wondering if anyone had any experiance or know of any write ups about what was needed to make the switch thanks to all that reply,

Note: I'm looking for advise from someone who is experianced with this type of engine swap, I'm not sure why but when I list something looking technical help, I get opion's like:

I won't do that, because my brothers next door neighbor says porsche engines are junk

or

I heard that porshe engines are not reliable

This is what I want to do, and need help doing it, if someone can help....please speak up.

thank you...thank you... thank you ... to all the experts tha reply!!! -
cheers - Tom

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hey more power to you!!
I applaud your ideas - sky is the limit - as Eleanor Roosevelt said....Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss nothing!!

Somewhere along the line someone used a Porsche G50 tranny on the Lotus.
So, your'e half way done my friend.....hehehehehe!

oh by the way -- the lotus bank leaning toward the left? nothing to worry, lotus said, they are preparing to "weld" 4 more cyl on the right bank to make
it a v8 --- (that was the lotus plan then) so, no worry here it will fit.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You're probably going to need the stock Porsche ECU, or aftermarket standalone to control fuel and timing. Fabricating motor mounts shouldn't be too difficult. Mating the engine to the Lotus transaxle will probably take a custom adapter or bellhousing and clutch. If the engine bolts straight up to the G50 transaxle, that might be the way to go. Sounds like a fun project, if my Lotus engine gives me any more grief, I'm tempted to swap in something I know makes a lot more power reliably as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you need this forum to help you out, don't start at all. if you can not do this on your own don't start! does not sound nice but too many people stop half way because they don't know how to finish a swap.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know where you're coming from, but every project I have ever undertaken and completed, I have first sought out and asked for help, its not that I can't do it, but asking people who have experience makes you work smarter, not harder - I'm a firm believer in listening to people who have accomplished the same thing I am trying to do, then apply my own idea’s then dive in and get it done, I was hoping someone here on the site had finished a Porsche 944 turbo swap, but having restored 3 corvettes and built a kit airplane, finishing won’t be a problem, but I find a lot of posts full of people who know very little about the subject at hand, or are condescending, so its tough to weed out the knowledgeable from the know it all’s, but I’ll keep doing my research – thank you and best wishes - Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts