The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just talking with a friend of mine about what might be possible to swap into the Elise. Pretty much just for the fun idea, as I have no where near the funds to both buy an Elise and swap in a different engine. Getting to the point...

From sandsmuseum it says the dimensions of the 2zz engine are:

Size (LxWxH) (mm) 652 x 608 x 659
25.67" x 23.94" x 25.94"

weighing it at about 147 kg dressed.

And from chevroletls1.com they show the dimensions of the LS1 as:

25.25" Length X 24" Height X 20.5" Width

weighing in at 225 kg dressed.

So, that's about 78kg = 172 pounds more.

So, what do you think? I would assume the LS2 is also about the same size. 400 bhp stock from what I've seen is a very nice engine would seem like a very nice engine to have for someone that can handle a car like that.

Has anyone else looked into putting other engines in there? I know the honda engine has been swapped with the Rover engines. How difficult is it to do this?

Maybe I should get more sleep intead of staying up until 6am dreaming ubsurdities.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Like many potential swaps the biggest issue usually is the drivetrain.

Is the engine originally used in a transverse mounted FWD configuration? If yes, then you may have a chance to fit it into the Elise chassis.

If no, then it's still possbile, but it really gets into the "anything is possible for enough money" area.

This is one of the reasons why for instance nobody has used an F20C from an S2000 in the Elise. Apart from a multitude of other problems and limitations there is also no direct bolt-on transverse transaxle available.

Most engine conversions do follow this route, so you see the Honda K20A, Audi 1.8T and Ford Duratec (albeit using the original Rover gearbox..) conversions in europe. There is even an Elise with an Alfa-Romeo V6 in the back, but it's so heavy that it's balance is totally ruined.

Some very expensive conversions (like the Esthi done in germany using the Audi RS4 engine) use a longitudinal mounted engine and transaxle, but this gets awfully expensive. ($100K+ and such) to engineer/build.

By that time it's probably cheaper to buy/build something like an Ultima..

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I'm biased, but what about a Subaru flat four? I don't have any data handy, but they say that they're fairly compact and light weight. And I have a local tuner who builds them to make something like 700+ HP.

Like usofrob, I don't plan to do anything like this, but it's always fun to fantasize...

·
purveyor of lightness
4,061 Posts
ConeFusion said:
I'm biased, but what about a Subaru flat four?
I was thinking about this a couple of days ago - you'd have to lose the rear diff / driveshaft assembly - but the engine is light, durable, easy to mod and has an astoundingly low center of gravity with it's boxer layout. Stock 2.5 liter STi trim yields 300hp and 300lb/ft of torque. Assuming it adds, say... 50lbs. to the car it would run:

0-60mph: 3.18
0-80mph: 5.44
0-100mph: 8.39
0-120mph: 12.63
0-150mph: 23.81

:clap:

60': 1.65
330': 4.87
660': 7.55 @ 93.69 mph
1000': 9.83
1320': 11.81 @ 114.68 mph
Top speed: 171 mph

Not too shabby in "stock" form... I might not even mind the boost surge... ;)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Personally I’d be more interested to see what is developed for the existing engine. Either way I’m sure we will one day see Elise’s roaming free in the US with 300 – 400 BHP.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I thought the new RX-8 rotary engine would be a natural for the Elise (except for its tranny configuration). It's a low weight, small package engine- should have a lower center of gravity than the Toyota four-banger. Puts out around 340hp normally aspirated. Not a ton of low-end torque, though.

·
Registered
637 Posts
perryeyges said:
What about the R32 engine from the Audi TT @ 250 hp??
15 degree narrow angle VR6?
that would be an interesting one. You might also be able to get a DSG for the 1.8 Turbo VAG engine. I wonder if Bernard Scouse has been thinking about one of those (he's the guy behind the audi conversions in the UK - http://www.auto-teknix.co.uk)

Craigy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Engine weight

>weighing it at about 147 kg dressed.

Sorry, but, for those of us not familiar
with the auto-terminology involved (both
of us :>), could you list the bits you're
including in the 'dressing'? My recollection
of the site was that it said the engine
weighed 115kg 'dry'.

Thanks.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:) good question, and honestly I'm not exactly sure. I take it to mean with all the stuff on it that needs to be there to run, including fluids. However, now that you've asked the question, I realized that was just an assumption.

And yes, that website says the dry weight is 115 kg. So, that woudl be 32kg of dressing :). This only seems a little high to me.

Though this was supposed to more be a discussion of other possible engines that might fit in the Elise. Does anyone know of a good small aluminum V6 that might work?

·
Registered
677 Posts
aletes said:
"As mentioned in May/June Shop Talk, the Lotus Elise FIA GT1 cars that ran at Le Mans were powered by 6.0 liter LT5 engines developed through a collaboration between Lotus Racing and LPE. Although the Elise's qualified well, miscellaneous accessory drive failures and driver error caused both entries to fail to finish the event. Since then, the LT5 equipped Elise's have run at several more FIA GT1 events with a best finish so far of 8th at Spa in Belgium."

1 - 20 of 49 Posts