The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve made up my mind about buying an Elise (for the track and street) but I’m a little concerned about where I might be in the future as far as power is concerned. My current fun car has + 700 HP. I’m confident that the car with a 190HP engine is way beyond my abilities but I hope to learn and close that gap. If it were a Lotus engine I wouldn’t dare touch it but it’s not.

I’ve thought about an Ultima GTR, RCR Superlight Coupe and others but the support and innovation that surrounds Lotus cars is way too much to ignore.
<O:p
So….down the road….are there options for changing out the motor?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
740 Posts
See http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f172/new-280-hp-type-i-supercharged-secant-vehicle-engineering-52959/ for an engine swap solution.
In Europe they do a lot more engine swaps because a lot of Elises over there have the less powerful Rover engines. Popular engine swaps over there are: Audi 1.8T & Honda K20A, both can go north of 300HP.

Easier & cheaper is to supercharge the 2zz engine, read the forced induction section of this forum for further details: 220WHP and much better low end torque is now easily possible.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
IF you had to do a swap id do k20a, torquey little bugger and seems to hold up well.

you should know, that by fully building this 2zz and going turbo you can achieve ~500whp

Now I dunno what car you had before with 700hp, but I really cant imagine more than 400 in this car being usable. If you are looking for a high HP straight line car, dont buy a lotus.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Supercharging or Turbo'ing will probably happen first.....But I hate the thought of Heat Soaking if I'm out for a long day at the track. Thats why I was thinking of an engine change.

I know this will be far down the road....I'm just seeing what you guys think....thanks for the response so far.

And I agree....this won't be a straight line car....not looking for 400HP on an Elise....just something stable in the 280-300HP arena....I still have my other car and I don't want to constantly be comparing the 2.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Supercharging or Turbo'ing will probably happen first.....But I hate the thought of Heat Soaking if I'm out for a long day at the track. Thats why I was thinking of an engine change.

I know this will be far down the road....I'm just seeing what you guys think....thanks for the response so far.

And I agree....this won't be a straight line car....not looking for 400HP on an Elise....just something stable in the 280-300HP arena....I still have my other car and I don't want to constantly be comparing the 2.
K20a will do 300whp np all motor.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a supercharged '05 and I cannot imagine one of our cars with 300+ hp. Even at my power levels there is so much more speed to get out of it. Corner exit speed for the win.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
The ecotec lump (GM+Lotus engineering) swap seems great and even has a 1 year warranty, they are working on a more powerful package I believe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts