The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched through the forums and haven't been able find any information about swapping the 3s-gte mr2 turbo motor into the elise... is this possible?

It seems possible just based on the similarities( mid-engine, rwd, size) of the elise and mr2 that I could swap the two of course there is more involved in swapping motors but if anyone has done this to their elise just enlighten me on the final product... like specs, how it runs stuff like that...

The same goes for the f20 s2k motor except its fe rwd...?:confused:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
3s-gte weighs a tonne, so not many people will consider such an engine for a swap.

F20C is virtually impossible to use transversely. K20A with gearbox is a much better option and a known conversion on european pre-toyota powered elises.

Elise is a lightweight car and it's balance could be easily destroyed by putting a boat-anchor engine in the back.

The 2ZZ has quite decent power potential in SC or turbo'ed form, so any conversion will need to offset it's cost against boosting the existing engine.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
580 Posts
3s-gte weighs a tonne
It weighs about ~350 pounds with accessories. The 2ZZ is around ~280. The 3S is a much much stronger engine with significantly more aftermarket support and big power potential.

All depends what your goals are. Short answer is: Yes, it'll fit.

·
Inactive
831 Posts
I'll bite. The only people who think that the F20C is a better choice than the K20A are those who have not dynod the two engines. Then consider the transaxle problems with the F20C.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
It weighs about ~350 pounds with accessories. The 2ZZ is around ~280. The 3S is a much much stronger engine with significantly more aftermarket support and big power potential.

All depends what your goals are. Short answer is: Yes, it'll fit.
But it's not worth the cost.

Based on the technology nowadays, the 2ZZ > 3S-GTE as far as reliable HP per dollar. The 3S-GTE needs more money poured into it that the 2zz can do for less. Here it is, best said by a Toyota guy that has worked and owned both motors:

2ZZ build. - Page 23 - NewCelica.org Forum

The 3S-GTE is far inferior to where we are with the current 2ZZ technology except in terms of displacement. I could build a much more powerful 2ZZ for the money I have into this thing, and I could make a much faster MRS with said 2ZZ in it. To put it into perspective, when I took a 2ZZ head to Enginelogics (the premeir 3S-GTE head porter and engine builder in the country) to show the guy that runs it the heads I'm working with his first response was to try and figure out how to put it on top of a larger displacement block. Say what you want about the 2ZZ, but the head design is phenominal and the dual cam profile gives it a very nice advantage in terms of having the ability to combine idle quality and low speed driveability with high end power.

But all that aside money spent is money spent and I couldn't sell what I have for enough to make it worth starting over. Besides - I like the car - its a very brutal car to drive which suits me well. It handles very well - as long as you're on the throttle. So max performance is achieved by braking a tad early, hoping you've scrubbed enough speed, and throttling hard through the corner. Its kind of like a game of chicken at every corner - its fun. Plus it looks cool :D

·
Registered
580 Posts
But it's not worth the cost.
That's somewhat subjective-- how much power, how one goes about it, what one considers "reliable", etc. In my experience, the 3S is built like a tank and does not cost more than a 2ZZ to make power on-- quite the opposite in fact.

Based on the technology nowadays, the 2ZZ > 3S-GTE as far as reliable HP per dollar. The 3S-GTE needs more money poured into it that the 2zz can do for less. Here it is, best said by a Toyota guy that has worked and owned both motors:
In my experience, that simply is not the case. A 2ZZ needs a lot of help to get into the 350+ horsepower range, for example. A bone stock 3S will do that all day long and twice on sunday.

I also have fairly extensive experience with both engines, and the ~450hp 3S I have in my Celica GT-Four is considerably less annoying to deal with than the 2ZZ I have making ~350 in the Elise. The 3S is also fairly bomb proof by comparison. Toyota's design ethos changed a lot from the 90's to the 00's, for the worse in my opinion. The 2ZZ might be lighter, might have the VVT emissions band-aid and a few other bells and whistles the 3S doesn't in stock form, but it's not a better engine by any stretch of the imagination IMO.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts