The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a holed 2zz from a Celica. What is the best manual to use to guide me through the tear down? I'll probably be asking a lot of questions here too since I really don't know jack. :shrug: It is never too late to learn right?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...buy the celica shop manual directly from toyota - all lotus does is repackage its engine chapters, i believe...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
would you be interested in selling this engine when you are done with it?i have been looking for a blown 2zz for awhile now.need one to engineer a few parts.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure, I can sell what is left when I am done. The shipping might be a bit of a pita.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
i had a motor and trans shipped from hypersports in atlanta to portland oregon for 200.so a block on a pallet would be half that.wish i could find one local.what do you figure will be left on the motor when you are done?if you look in the uber post thread there is a link to the uk toyota manuals that you can download then look up the engine tear down section.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you need left? Most of my investigation will center around the head and the top of the block. I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow to show the damage that can be seen so far.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
a block crank and head would be nice.they dont have to be good.its just for mock up.oil pan would be nice too.also like to see the pics.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I have purchased a holed 2zz from a Celica. What is the best manual to use to guide me through the tear down? I'll probably be asking a lot of questions here too since I really don't know jack. :shrug: It is never too late to learn right?
ditto. I've never done much engine work, either. I have replaced the rod bearings on a Porsche 944, but someone basically held my hand. I'm going to be replacing my cams and rockers on the Elise, so I'm interested to find out what you find out. :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A couple of pictures of how it looks at the start. 104k. I was told that it blew at 4k RPMs. I didn't really know what other questions I should have asked. I'll post more as I get things apart. One bit that is not apparent is the hole in the shallow end of the oil pan. I also know I didn't get all the bits and pieces. He said the two valves were in the pan and more of the piston.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
a block can be shipped ups or fedex.. weighs about 100 ish lbs..

why did you purchse a useless engine?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I could have asked him to give it to me but I did not think if it at the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts