The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, the temp of my Elise reached 231. The aluminum was very hot to the touch. Any ideas as to what happened? What I need to do to fix?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
were the BOTH electric fans running?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Has to be air in the cooling system. what is your coolant level at?

Last year the end cap in my radiator started leaking. The stock one is a complete piece of junk. Had to replace the radiator. Upgraded to a prorad from Sector 111.

Like mentioned before get a pressure test done.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Normally, the temp is around 189 - 196. How do I check the coolant level? As soon as I saw the temperature rise, I returned home.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I dont know what the max temp is... but driving through nevada at 80mph, 110deg air temp, with the ac running, I reaced 219 deg. You should consider that the maximum.

at 231, i think you should bring it to the shop.

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
Normally, the temp is around 189 - 196. How do I check the coolant level? As soon as I saw the temperature rise, I returned home.
have you checked your owner's manual?

·
Registered
831 Posts
There is a coolant tank in the engine bay, on the left-hand side.

You have some coolant loss, or your fans didn't work (could be the thermostat or fuse). The boiling point of the coolant is, if I recall correctly 248 degrees F, so you were OK as far as any damage, but you should have the system looked at.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I wouldn't worry that much about it. Many engines run at 200-220* normal operating temp.

And yeah I'd expect something to be hot to the tough if it's 230* rotfl

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looked at the radiator reservoir unit, and there was not much left in the unit. I refilled the unit and as I was filling it, I heard dropping of the fluid as I poured it in. And I poured it in directly not missing the opening. So, it seems like a radiator leak or bad plug. No?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The sealed radiator system is often far from actually sealed. Many people must top off the radiator fluid tank periodically to avoid high temps. I last filled mine about 5000 miles ago, it looks like it could use about 8 ounces again. Make sure you use the recommended radiator fluid (in the manual). You don't have to match the brand, but you do need to match the type. If it is green (and not orange) it is likely the wrong type.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, figured that. After all, it is built in the United Kingdom. I added the radiator fuel and drove it around for about an hour, stayed well in line. Will AC full blast w/ recirculation, I the average temp was around 198, with a max out of 203.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New update, I think it is the AC after all. It is currently around 92% out in New York. Drove the car for an hour and a half ago with the AC on and top down. Within a half hour, the temp climbed to around 216. The next hour it climbed to 224. When I shut the AC off, it went down to 199.

What do I do?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
New update, I think it is the AC after all. It is currently around 92% out in New York. Drove the car for an hour and a half ago with the AC on and top down. Within a half hour, the temp climbed to around 216. The next hour it climbed to 224. When I shut the AC off, it went down to 199.

What do I do?
I am experiencing similar behaviour here in Texas. Its been over 100*F. I found that putting the "re-circulate" button on helped keep the temps down around 200-210 with the AC on. If I turn off the AC it goes down to about 190-200*F.

I think part of the problem is that the AC is always pushing hot water through the matrix so the condensor is always going to be transferring heat to the radiator. Then with system pulling air from the outside that is 100*F your now trying to pull the heat out of that as well and the system just gets overloaded. Turning the re-circ on at least alleviates trying to cool down 100*F air. In the morning when the air is still high 70's/low 80's I have zero cooling problem and the car sits around 180*F (170*F thermostat in the car).

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
When a/c is on, the two fans at radiator are supposed to be on, and on high.

So, first ascertain if your fans are coming on when you have a/c button pushed.

you can hear them....not quiet

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
Yes, I hear them, they are far from quite.
do not confuse those radiator fans with the interior blower fan.

How much coolant did you add? Which coolant did you use? Did you look to see if the drip wasn't merely excess coolant coming out the overflow,

If coolant reservoir gets too low, air is introduced into the cooling system and that creates hot spots, weird temps and other issues.

Perhaps you got air in it and bleeding is now req'd.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
do not confuse those radiator fans with the interior blower fan.

How much coolant did you add? Which coolant did you use? Did you look to see if the drip wasn't merely excess coolant coming out the overflow,

If coolant reservoir gets too low, air is introduced into the cooling system and that creates hot spots, weird temps and other issues.

Perhaps you got air in it and bleeding is now req'd.

It was a significant amount needed to be added. I added the one required for Lotus. The drip was heard as soon as I added it to the reservoir.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts