The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Outside = 100 F

My engine hit 201 F on the gauge, is that something I should be worrying about? Was normal in town driving. It didn't stay at 201 for long.
I've heard different numbers from different people, but from what I've gathered you'll need to be 225++ before you really need to start worrying. Antifreeze has a higher boiling point than water and the system is also pressurized so it is going to be a good bit above 212 before you have to start worrying about your coolant mix boiling.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Around town, stop/go and that tends to happen.

You should be fine. I routinely hit 205 and it never seems to go further from there.

BTW, for me:

Outside Temp = 102

Lotus Temp = 0

Why? She stays in the garage when it's that hot. Miserable. My Jeep has ice cold AC.

Another thing is when you see the temp raising, close the vents and turn the HEAT on max (with recirc). Pulls the heat off the rad and works very well in pulling the heat down on the engine. You'll sweat your nuts off but it works.

·
Premium Member
11,306 Posts
Another thing is when you see the temp raising, close the vents and turn the HEAT on max (with recirc). Pulls the heat off the rad and works very well in pulling the heat down on the engine. You'll sweat your nuts off but it works.
1. to op: every lb of pressure raises boiling point of coolant 3 degrees.

2. The above technique works better in cars that don't have coolant always running thru the heater core, as ours do. )Some have installed the bypass switch.)

But, yes, air blowing over the already hot radiator will help some.

Why would recirc help tho?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts