The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A piece of advice that some of you might find valuable, for a couple of reasons. One is comfort and the other is longevity of your car.

I installed Tonywa28's Heater Core Bypass over the weekend. The last step is to bleed the cooling system to relieve air bubbles trapped in the system. I did this even though I lost very little coolant while installing Tony's kit.

Before installing the kit, engine temperature always hovered between 198 and 208 degrees. Since the car came this way a year ago, I thought nothing of it. Since installing the kit, I the temperature hovers between 190 and 198, and never more. The ambient temperature in Austin today was in the mid to upper 90s.

I don't think the kit has anything to do with that; it is not supposed to change the engine temperature and it doesn't matter if the system is engaged or not.

I think what happened is that the car came from Lotus with bubbles in the coolant system. As a by-product of installing Tony's kit, I fixed that. I know the kit works because the car is more comfortable when it is engaged. However, the car is also cooler all the time, which makes sense since the heater and radiator circulate hot water on all 4 sides of the cabin.

You can find instructions for bleeding the cooling system in the aforementioned thread. Be sure to get the last update.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
198? My exige S is usually around 189 and Elises are around 186-189 from what I've read.

:shrug:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
198? My exige S is usually around 189 and Elises are around 186-189 from what I've read.

Typically my Elise runs in the mid to low 180s but it has seen 200 a couple of times when in heavy traffic and at ambient temp is in the 90s but drops fast when traffic starts moving.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Maybe I have some more bleeding to do.

...from the knuckles. The blood is still trickling out, turning brown and creeping out my wife.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Upgrade radiator and fan

Installed a larger radiator and a better fan both from eliseparts.com and now my temperature sits at 198. The other day in heavy traffic outside 116 and inside my lotus it was nice an cozy! It was a good investment since before I was up to 215-217 in the same summer traffic!

·
Registered
532 Posts
My exige S is in the 190's I added water wetter recently.
I've seen temp's as high as 205/207.
( A/C did not make much difference)
I have the bypass kit but did not install it yet.
I also don't have a front plate. Rest is Stock.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts

My Elise is regularly in the mid to high 190s. I've seen upwards of 212 in the summer driving, shall we say briskly, on the local mountain roads.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...houston and san antonio, midday ambient temperatures in the high nineties to low hundreds over the past few weeks, my elise has always reached equilibrium at 191 as long as it's moving fast enough to maintain airflow...stop and go traffic or idling it's crept up to the low two hundreds, driving hard i've reached the low teens, and of course evenings when it's cooler if i'm driving smoothly at moderate RPMs it's stabilised at the low-to-mid one eighties...

...generally, in mildly spirited driving or long-distance cruising, regardless of ambient conditions, i've always hit equilibrium at 191 while the car's moving...

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
FYI-The one side of the coolant reserve tank should be full and the other should be between the min and max mark.

If you open the wingnut on top of the tank, it looses pressure and then it causes both sides of the tank to have the same amount of coolant. I was going nuts trying to figure out why some cars had tanks that look they were full on one side and not on the other, and while other ones looked like they were at the same level.

Also, I think there is a washer that is under the bleed screw. I parked my car in my garage one day and saw that there was a small puddle of coolant on the ground next to it the following morning. It was leaking a little around the rear bleed screw. I went to Home Deport and got a washer, since the dealer didnt have any since it only comes if you by the entire hose and they didnt have the hose in stock.

The washer I got worked fine for a week, but the interior sized whole in it must have been a little too big, so it started dripping again, so I got another washer that had the smallest hole in it that I could find ( I think size 00) that had a width that matched the diameter fo the screw, and it has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
847 Posts

Normal is 187 solid on the freeway for me. I had a very odd occurrence during my first week of ownership. Sitting in traffic on a very mild day the car temp crept up to 210ish and then there was a noise like a tea kettle going off and then the whole windshield steamed up. I can offer no explanation on why it happened nor has it reappeared since.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Most of the time, mine stays around 187 once it's warmed up. In hot weather/sitting in Atlanta traffic, it can get around ~200 or so, but this comes down once the car starts moving.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
crap... here I thought 196 was normal....
...it might be just fine - don't forget to take the thermostat's calibration and margin of error into account...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Mine used to run as high as 207 on the track on a hot day. Now it runs to 220 on a hot day on the track (at which time I mellow out and let it cool down to 200. Anyone else having the same issue. My coolant looks very clean and the water level is good.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Normal is 187 solid on the freeway for me. I had a very odd occurrence during my first week of ownership. Sitting in traffic on a very mild day the car temp crept up to 210ish and then there was a noise like a tea kettle going off and then the whole windshield steamed up. I can offer no explanation on why it happened nor has it reappeared since.
Not sure what was going on with your car, but the fans come on around 209F, and your windshield might've steamed up because the air is pushed up over the windshield, whether by the fans or by normal driving. I've owned 4 Elise/Exige's, and all had fans that were very noisey but in different ways.

Next time you're driving with the top off and the car fully warmed, put your hand over the windshield frame while going highway speed. You will feel warmer air coming up over the windshield because of airflow through the radiator.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
I've read in past threads that the radiator can crack under high temps (apparently it's very cheaply made) and throw coolant onto your windshield like that.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i've had mine range from 181 on cold mornings/days to 195 on the hottest days. traffic will definitely allow 200+ temps. That's why I will avoid driving on hot days and in traffic situations at all costs. If i hit traffic I'll leave a gap in front of me so the car can be in constant motion.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts