The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys run for engine oil and tranny oil? I have always run 15/50 Mobile 1 and full sythetic Valvoline in the gearbox. Any different opinions out there? BTW I have an 02 Esprit.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
I use Redline 15W50 for engine oil. On the tranny fluid, I was told to use ONLY Castrol TAF-X or Redline MT90.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Lotus advise that you use nothing but Castrol TAF-X in your gearbox.

MT-90 seems a popular choice but it has never been tested or failed the tests Lotus put it through which is why isn't not the recommended lubricant. The gearbox is very specific in it's requirements when mounted in an Esprit. The low temperature performance of the lubricant is very important and it also has to withstand the extreme high pressures that the cwp contact areas will put it through. TAF-X was the only lubricant that fulfilled the criteria.

Don't argue with me, argue with Lotus!

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
Bibs,

I completely agree with you. But the TAF-X is not available in the US...We all tried to find it:mad:

Alan

Lotus advise that you use nothing but Castrol TAF-X in your gearbox.

MT-90 seems a popular choice but it has never been tested or failed the tests Lotus put it through which is why isn't not the recommended lubricant. The gearbox is very specific in it's requirements when mounted in an Esprit. The low temperature performance of the lubricant is very important and it also has to withstand the extreme high pressures that the cwp contact areas will put it through. TAF-X was the only lubricant that fulfilled the criteria.

Don't argue with me, argue with Lotus!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Taf-x is not easy to get but it is available in the US. I have a 20 liter jug in my shop now that was purchased recently for around $450. You may have to get 3 or 4 other guys together to do a group buy to make it feasible. You can also order it from Marcus at PUK in Germany if JAE doesn't have it here.

Whatever you do I'd get the Valvoline changed out to MT90 at least. A lot of guys have used it for several years with no issues. I know of a couple of owners who have had crown wheel/pinion issues after experimenting with other gear oils.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Glad you brought this up....it has never been discussed before ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you wish to have someone in the UK buy it directly from the Lotus factory let me know and I'll be happy to help guys. There will be no mark up from me as long as you cover the price and P&P :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts