The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the weekend, I spoke with an associate who works for Toyota and he mentioned something interesting...

"The 2GR-FE will receive direct injection in the near future. It will still be tuned for low octane fuel, so power won't be as much as the Lexus engine (2GR-FSE) but torque, power and economy will be improved by around 10% and CO2 emissions about 5%."

That would give the "DI" 2GR-FE about 220kW (295hp) - so with some Lotus tuning, maybe 305hp?

I wonder if Lotus will get to use this engine?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i can't imagine why not...i don't believe toyota was ever 'holding back' the FSE from lotus; it's just not a suitable layout for transverse mounting...

...in truth, lotus serves as a sort of halo user for the toyota powerplants - you'd be surprised by the number of toyota buyers who get excited over the association...i expect lotus will continue to conservatively evolve its tuning and forced induction modifications, but there's no reason to believe toyota won't supply lotus with the most refined version of whichever engine model remains suitable and available...

·
Registered
580 Posts
It would surprise me if they can pull a significant amount of extra power from it and retain emissions compliance. The F "economy" heads flow like crap compared to the G heads found on all the G(T)E engines, which are much easier to massage extra ponies from with valve timing tricks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would surprise me if they can pull a significant amount of extra power from it and retain emissions compliance. The F "economy" heads flow like crap compared to the G heads found on all the G(T)E engines, which are much easier to massage extra ponies from with valve timing tricks.
I'd imagine a change to Direct Injection will require a change to the heads.

Why would emissions compliance be difficult to retain? If, through optimised combustion the efficiency of the engine is improved, why would emissions increase?

What other engine has had its emissions increase as a result of Direct Injection being incorporated?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Over the weekend, I spoke with an associate who works for Toyota and he mentioned something interesting...

"The 2GR-FE will receive direct injection in the near future. It will still be tuned for low octane fuel, so power won't be as much as the Lexus engine (2GR-FSE) but torque, power and economy will be improved by around 10% and CO2 emissions about 5%."

That would give the "DI" 2GR-FE about 220kW (295hp) - so with some Lotus tuning, maybe 305hp?

Frantastic! The DI set up is the only thing that makes sense.

Is it considered poor taste to quote/paraphrase myself?:shrug:

(I just got back from 14 day of hiking the Peruvian Andies and am quite sleep deprived so I'll use that as an excuse for the poor judgement/taste in quoting myself.) :)

I think this is excellent news. Lotus obviously recognizes the shortcomings of this car and how that could lead to a less than stellar reception in the US. My theory is that the US car will be more powerful and lighter.... I can't imagine them fitting a different engine in the US version, my suspicion is that they will retune it to hit the 300 mark. Is it beyond Lotus engineering to fit a direct injection head onto the current engine? Hitting that psychological 300 mark will make a huge difference in this market. Also, there is no logical reason for this car to weigh nearly 3,000 lbs. They will find a way to shave 100 - 200 lbs before they bring it here. Those two improvements will make the non-pedigree engine moot and make this car what it needs to be. That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it.
If we hear that they are looking at shaving a couple of hundred pounds in conjunction with the DI heads, I'm sure I'm be compelled to quote myself again! When I return from my July trip maybe that will be the newest rumor (fingers crossed)!

This is really encouraging news.

·
Registered
580 Posts
What other engine has had its emissions increase as a result of Direct Injection being incorporated?
I wasn't referring to DI, I was referring to Lotus pulling an "extra" ~10 hp out of the DI (or non-DI for that matter) engine.

The only relatively easy way of doing it is playing with the cam/ignition timing, and there's a point in which that becomes less and less feasible while maintaining emissions compliance.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
i belive the word from lotus is the evora will not get DI - something about the fit won't allow the toyota components fit in the car.... of course, we have heard things like that before from lotus :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Hardly believe so compadre!

Maybe if they end up offering a hydrid version of the Evora. :rolleyes:

:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like all Toyota engines most are detuned to maintain reliability over
full hp. 2gr-fe is a very capable motor and with just a free flow
exhaust and intake using Avalon ecu this motor will make
almost 280whp (installed in a mk2 mr2) and i am sure in the Evora
with minor mods 290whp to 300+ is not out the question.

All previous Toyota V6's have a lot of room to improve by
ported heads and i am sure 2gr is no different.. or just
wait for s/c version to come out and you will have more power

Considering what Toyota has done lately i am sure DI will come out
but i don't see Evora getting for a few years if at all.

·
Registered
344 Posts
DI

So will it be loaded with a HUEI system or a high pressure fuel system, or pushing it off a cam lobe.

I ask because the pressure required to open the pintle of a DI injector is not without consequence.

While I personally believe that DI is the way to go, I'm not convinced that our current level of technology will allow us to make what is strong enough small enough/light enough.

I have a question as well. If they are gonna go DI and have a supercharger, why in the hell don't they just give us a 2 stroke motor? :shrug: DUHHHHH!
get your 500hp with gravy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts