The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my Esprit roadworthy again, I've noticed that once in a while you can feel a heavy vibration thru the clutch pedal when it is pressed. I dont know what would be causing it since the clutch is hydraulically actuated. Anyone know what would cause this. It only occurs once in a while, the car drives fine though, other than being a little rough on downshifts, it seems to want you to be going slower than what I would expect to shift down from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd, but the downshifting has always been that way, but not the clutch vibration. Previous owner just installed a new clutch not long before I owned the car, and I certainly have not done enuf driving for a clutch to be going out yet.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
It sounds more like a throwout bearing problem. How much judder does the clutch have when you are starting out very gently in first gear?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Does it seem linked to RPMs? If its tied to speed, definitely get the alignment checked. Maybe it's not from the clutch at all but just being transmitted there (to your leg).

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I start the car out very gently it sorta shudders a little, it mainly does it I noticed when I first leave my garage, and now that you mention it, that is sorta the feeling thru the pedal. Is it possible when I drive for a while the bearing gets the lube spinning thru it and it loosens up?

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you are feeling the vibration when letting out the clutch in gear it is more than likely the flywheel. If you can feel the vibration at a stand still with the clutch to the floor then the throw out bearing.

·
Registered
743 Posts
could be new clutch break-in issue?
do you know if he installed stock lotus clutch not a relined disc from an aftermarket?
did he puts hi-temp grease on the spline?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
could be new clutch break-in issue?
do you know if he installed stock lotus clutch not a relined disc from an aftermarker?
did he smear a hi-temp grease on the spline?
And - was the spigot bearing replaced? This is an area of concern on the Esprit clutch system. Thats why I thought maybe the spigot bearing could be the culprit, not so much the TO bearing. Just a thought.

·
Wingless Wonder
5,406 Posts
And - was the spigot bearing replaced? This is an area of concern on the Esprit clutch system. Thats why I thought maybe the spigot bearing could be the culprit, not so much the TO bearing. Just a thought.
I thought Mark's PO DID have an input shaft failure... :confused:

There are supposed to be shim markings on the bell housing. .000 right on the bottom indicates no shims needed. Numbers (eg 002) indicate the size shims needed to align everything.

Hopefully the PO realized that a nylon washer is required on the clutch input shaft.

It's all conjecture at this point. :shrug:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Has this just started? Had you driven the car for long before you had the recent dramas? A throwout bearing failure you can feel through the pedal will progress very rapidly to total failure so I suspect it's not that. My car had the flywheel warped just about as much as you could go and there was no symptom like this. If the car was fine for a decent time before your recent work it would probably support that there was some idle transition engine roughness issue you were feeling. I'd also take a peek through the timing holes to make sure the flywheel was running true (and was tight) and that the clutch cover bolts were all present and tight too.

Has the master or slave cylinders been done? My slave seized and that just might show this way. Is the clutch pedal pivot and clevis lubed and free? i.e. can you rattle the pedal? Let's eliminate the external possibilities before we consider too deeply the horrible bell housing internal possibilities.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it was just a short erratic rough idle that I felt thru the clutch pedal, I drove the car for awhile tonight and it was fine, actually finer than fine, it drove perfect. The previous owner did install a clutch he got from JAE, whether it was Lotus or aftermarket I do not know. I do know the clutch is brand new and I have not put many miles on the car to break it in yet. The PO seemed real informative about what was done to the car, he told me the car's input shaft stripped about 3 years ago, he thought it was the clutch as the car would rev but not move, so he bought the clutch then disconnected the motor and trans. and found the stripped shaft. The transmission was removed and a new improved input shaft installed (by a transmission shop and I was told the input shaft cost a fortune) along with the new clutch by himself. By this point though, the PO had enuf of the car and sold it to me after he just paid off a loan he had on it and the car still needing more cosmetic work and timing belt service. I've installed/removed transmissions before so if I had to separate the motor from it to do a throwout bearing or something in the future though, its doesnt seem like that difficult a project (compared to a Saab 900 turbo convertible I installed a transmission in once, this cars gearbox seems like it would be much easier to separate).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts