The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All -

New the forum - I owned a 1989 Esprit turbo and I just took it out after a year in storage. The car ran beautifully. After parked the car for a bit, then drove it again. However, the car feels sluggish (not enough power). Slow to build up speed and the engine got really hot.

What to do?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,653 Posts
Check all the vacuum lines. Follow the chart on the sticker under the hatch.

I'd check all the fluids too (especially coolant in the header tank). Is it an SE or non-SE?

When you say 'got really hot' was that a gauge reading? Did it start out reading high?

·
Integrator
2,764 Posts
Greetings All -

New the forum - I owned a 1989 Esprit turbo and I just took it out after a year in storage. The car ran beautifully. After parked the car for a bit, then drove it again. However, the car feels sluggish (not enough power). Slow to build up speed and the engine got really hot.

What to do?
Usually, if it runs lean = engine gets hot. Clean/replace your injectors.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sat for a year.....without starting once?...or from rare time to rare time?.... with fuel that had ethanol in it?......try some sort of injector cleaner or service them. If you choose the cleaner route, then...... oh how terrible... you'll have to drive the car!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sat for a year.....without starting once?...or from rare time to rare time?.... with fuel that had ethanol in it?......try some sort of injector cleaner or service them. If you choose the cleaner route, then...... oh how terrible... you'll have to drive the car!
Yeah, good chance you've clogged something up like the fuel filter or an injector. Change the filter and try some injector cleaner - those are two cheap fixes if they work. If not you've got to get into some more serious diagnostics, like running a Tech 1 on the car and checking fuel pressure at the rail, etc.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts