The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be striking out everywhere I try, thought I'd post here & see if anyone has some connections or suggestions.
I'm a double major in Electrical & Mechanical Engineering, finishing my 4th year. Last summer I had an EE internship, but the economic situation seems to be making my ME internship search for this upcoming summer a lot more difficult.
I have my resume, a letter of rec from the previous boss, and a summary of my extracurricular projects which are quite relevant ready to go.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Man, times a suck. I would point you in the direction of Siemens (the big German company) up in CT, but they supposedly put a ban on all interns this summer to save money and make their numbers look good for for the stock holders.

Are other companies doing this?

Just crappy timing due to the economy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, Missed your replies.
Yeah, it seems fairly common for companies to have nixed the internships for this summer. The place I interned last year wasn't hiring either. I managed to find a mechanical engineering research position on my campus, though. It doesn't pay well, but it's something & it's good experience.
I'm working on blast mitigation testing on composite specimens using a shock tube. The idea is that if you put this sandwich composite on the outside of a (boat/building/etc), a bomb going off nearby will have less effect on the integrity of the structure. We test the effectiveness of various laminates for this use.

I just hope that job options will be a lot better in a year and a half or so when I graduate with the dual major.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
If it helps any, I graduated with dual degrees in Biomedical Engineering and Electrical Engineering back in 1989. Then went to dental school.

I have always found that connections are best. Are you in fraternity? Know any Alumni that might give preference to you?

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you're interested in serving your country you could apply for the Naval Nuclear Power Program. You will go to 6 months of Power School in Charleston, SC, then 6 months of Prototype (where I am currently an instructor) in either Ballston Spa, NY or Charleston, SC.

Then you could go drive a submarine based in Groton, CT.

We (nukes) are the best paid community in the Navy if not the entire military. There is a reason for that (really hard work and a lot of opportunities once you get out). I think they'll pay off most or all of your school loans.

Lots of info here and elsewhere.

Edit: Since you're still in school you're eligible for the NUPOC program. They pay you while you're going to college.

Also, there are no guarantees whatsoever on getting stationed where you want. You could end up on a fast attack out of Groton, Guam, San Diego, Pearl Harbor or Norfolk or an SSBN or SSGN out of Washington State or Kings Bay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts