The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looks totaled. was entering highway on an entrance ramp, speed was about 40 but the back end just went out. the corner wasn't reallytoo tight either. there was gravel but it was at the beginning of the ramp and not where it lost it. I was in second gear at 40 so I don't think the rpms were too high. did a half spin and it pushed into a bridge pillar head on and spinned another time off the Road. pictures will be up later .all the damage is in the front.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Glad you are ok! There is another lotus looking for a good home :) Could of happened in any car...

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
That sucks. I hope the damage is mostly cosmetic, i.e. fiberglas.

What do you think happened (excess speed, lifting @ wrong time, bad tire, etc)?

If there had only been a cop there to stop you...:D

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Oh [email protected] You just got this car too. :( Glad to see you're here and able to post about it though.

Which exit/entrance ramp to which highway was it? May be something all of us in Chicago ought to be aware of.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok im at a computer now. I did the opening thread from my cell phone. Most important I am OK. Myself and a passenger both walked away without a scratch. After about 3 hours I just feel sliiiiight wrist sprain. Im not that good at diagnosing damage so I will have to post some images in a little bit. I do know that the front passenger tire rod is messed up because the tow truck driver couldnt turn properly. Also, the car dies seconds after starting up. Fluid is leaking from the front as well. Personally, I dont know what happened. Maybe a combination of things but I can say that I was not flying down the ramp. I know the gravel from the entrace ramp didnt magically follow me so Im lost on the whole situation.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics... came from cell phone.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
That does not look good. :(

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Like I said, I'm glad you're here to type about it and that it sounds like your passenger is A-OK too.

Where did you have it towed to? FVMC could probably have a look at it and let you know how bad the damage is.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Obvious - new front clam and crash structure, radiator, oil cooler, headlamps... not so obvious, but I imagine upper and lower wishbones, damper...

And this doesn't even get into the frame itself. Did the airbags go off? Is the windscreen cracked?

I'd imagine it's totaled. :(

Glad you're okay, though. Try and take it easy.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Wow, I have to agree, it doesn't look good. Glad you and your passenger are OK. Do yourself a favor and don't run the engine... you're probably losing coolant and oil when you do.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Glad you are okay. I've had the odd spin here and there, just been very lucky on the two not to have had anything bad happen. The engine dying right after start-up is expected as it should have triggered the fuel cut. The reset switch will be right about where much of that damage is. It's just in front of the passenger part of the window right underneath the sail panel. I haven't got a handy pic of it.

Not sure how bad it is, but walking away is better than anything else. Given the manual steering of the car and your saying it damaged at least the tie-rods, it probably spun the wheel hard enough in your hand at impact to hurt the wrists. It's worth getting them checked if the pain doesn't go away shortly.

Hopefully we can actually have one thread get by without the stupid buff and vulture comments!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes both airbags deployed and the windshield cracked. Right now its just being housed by the towing company. Insurance company says they have to wait until monday to contact some department who verifies that I have coverage and everything. I know its procedure but thats bull. Anyway, I dont if they are going to send someone there to look at it or tow it to Fox Valley. Im going to call again and request they just tow it to fox valley.

·
Banned
3,227 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Do yourself and the whole rest of the driving public a favor and go to a high performance driving school like Skip Barber or Bondurant. You need it before you hurt yourself or others in your next crash.

I don't know which is more scary - that you lost it for no reason whatever or that you haven't a clue why you lost it. My guess is that you got into the corner just a little too fast and lifted off the throttle. Or worse yet tapped the brake. When you are into a corner a bit hot, either action will usually cause the back end to come around. And it will all go wrong very quickly.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts