The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Yes both airbags deployed and the windshield cracked. Right now its just being housed by the towing company. Insurance company says they have to wait until monday to contact some department who verifies that I have coverage and everything. I know its procedure but thats bull. Anyway, I dont if they are going to send someone there to look at it or tow it to Fox Valley. Im going to call again and request they just tow it to fox valley.
Make sure that it's at the dealership (or their recommended body shop, etc.) when the insurance adjuster comes to take a look. Could very well save you a lot of time and hassle.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Monsta,

Normally I'm the first to say "That can be repaired." I don't think that can be repaired. I'm sorry to say it.

2nd gear at 40mph going into a gravel covered bend is a tad hot and any lifting of gas pedal in that situation will have a powerful engine braking action. Some HPDE should be part of your next Lotus. You'll love it. Glad you and your passenger are safe and sound.

Tom

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
WOW. i am gald your ok. i am sooo sorry. call Joe carcioni service manager, on monday at fvmc he will make sure everything is looked at properly. we have a great body shop that wil take care of you. i am so sorry.

:( T.J. :(

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
:eek:
I'm sorry to hear that you crashed it after such a short ownership!
Glad you're both ok...

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
That sucks. Don't let a mishap deter you from getting another. You didn't have enough time to really have fun.

·
Registered
527 Posts
So sorry to hear about this. But glad you are ok.

When you are into a corner a bit hot, either action will usually cause the back end to come around. And it will all go wrong very quickly.
+1 Not that I am an expert but did this twice myself. Lifting going into a corner when you think you are too hot. Like Bill Cosby says its like leaning into a punch. It does not sound like that's what you want to do but it is. After my two incidents I put the car at the track and tried it. The back end just starts to lose it and you lift. WHAM the car spins around like no tomorrow. Same corner back end starts to move give it a little more gas and the car straightens out and goes where you point it. This is something about mid engine cars. Like I said I am glad you are OK.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Monsta,

Normally I'm the first to say "That can be repaired." I don't think that can be repaired. I'm sorry to say it.
Why would you be sorry to say it?

Frankly, under these circumstances, he would be much better off if it is declared a total loss than having some idiot say "yeah, we can fix that right up, no problem". Even in the unlikely event it is fixed correctly, the cars value will be greatly diminished.

He should be hoping that they "total" it.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Which ramp??

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
this was not in illinois. I was visiting family in michigan.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Do yourself and the whole rest of the driving public a favor and go to a high performance driving school like Skip Barber or Bondurant. You need it before you hurt yourself or others in your next crash.

I don't know which is more scary - that you lost it for no reason whatever or that you haven't a clue why you lost it. My guess is that you got into the corner just a little too fast and lifted off the throttle. Or worse yet tapped the brake. When you are into a corner a bit hot, either action will usually cause the back end to come around. And it will all go wrong very quickly.
+1

40 mph in second gear isn't taking it easy, especially on a ramp, very few of which have 40+ mph speed limits. too many things are happening to you "for no reason" it seems....

needless to say, glad to hear you and your friend walked away and are ok.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
So sorry to hear about this. But glad you are ok.

+1 Not that I am an expert but did this twice myself. Lifting going into a corner when you think you are too hot. Like Bill Cosby says its like leaning into a punch. It does not sound like that's what you want to do but it is. After my two incidents I put the car at the track and tried it. The back end just starts to lose it and you lift. WHAM the car spins around like no tomorrow. Same corner back end starts to move give it a little more gas and the car straightens out and goes where you point it. This is something about mid engine cars. Like I said I am glad you are OK.
Called 'drop throttle oversteer' or 'lift off oversteer' or whatever. It's simple. You're powering through a corner under throttle, the weight bias is towards the rear under power or acceleration. You can feel it. You lift, or even worse, brake, and the weight shifts to the front, making the rear VERY light. Again, you can feel it. That lightness in the Elige/Exise, or Esprit, or Europa, or 914 Porsche, or 914-6 Porsche, or Fiat X19, or Toyota MR2, or Pontiac Fiero, or Lambo Muira, or endless count of Ferraris, is compounded by the fact the engine/transaxle weight is behind you, and there you go....spin like a top.

Lots of folks think mid-engined cars corner like slot cars. Well, they DO, right up to the moment they don't.

Not saying this happened to you, Monsta. Could've been a blow out, oil/dew/gravel/sand on the road, who knows? Could've been bad tire pressures, could've been bad driving.

But you HAVE been stopped a bunch of times....of course, it's never been for your driving.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
this was not in illinois. I was visiting family in michigan.
I just got my car out for the season, and between my heat-cycled to death tires and the cold roads it can be quite a handful sometimes.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Ouch! Looks totaled...that sucks since it was such a recent buy. Go get yourself an Exige S now! (Glad you both are okay too!!!)

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
also, i vote for totalled.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
That looks done...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, I'm here for two reasons. For starters, I'm going to join everybody and say that it sucks that you wrecked, and that I'm glad you can still type your story out. But I'm also replying to this thread because I did a quick search on your previous posts and found something about shims. I know next to nothing about cars, mechanically speaking, but someone who replied to your previous thread said something that caught my eye.

Shouldn't change the stiffness/harshness of the ride that i've ever heard... the better cornering that people are referring too means the front end hooks up better... which means the rear is now proportially a little more likely to let go on you, so you do in principal need to be a little more careful going from throttle to brake, or even just with sudden lifting...
Might have added to the problem?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
its all still a big shock. surprisingly I have been calm all day. maybe it hasn't sunk in. a little more info about the ramp is that it wasn't a complete curve but more of a gradual arc. ill take LT's word that 40 in second can still cause this. its my first accident and hopefully my last. I won't rule lifting out though. I probably unconsciously did it while preparing to get on the highway. even though speed wasn't that excessive it's a big wake up for me and mid engine cars.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
21 - 40 of 135 Posts