The Lotus Cars Community banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Hold ups :mad: I told them to tow it to FVMC first. The guy from Geico finally comes today and has absolutely no clue about the damages. So now he is trying to get the ok to have it towed to FVMC which should have been done first.
I'm just sayin'...

Make sure that it's at the dealership (or their recommended body shop, etc.) when the insurance adjuster comes to take a look. Could very well save you a lot of time and hassle.
;)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #123

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I think I figured out exactly what happened. It has nothing to do with lift, breaking, shifting etc. I was going on a wide sweeping turn on a freeway transition with some debris on it, and realized there is no way I could look at the speedometer and safely drive the car. So, if you know for sure you were going 40 MPH, that means you took your eyes off the road or you probably would have dealt with the gravel better.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I think I figured out exactly what happened. It has nothing to do with lift, breaking, shifting etc. I was going on a wide sweeping turn on a freeway transition with some debris on it, and realized there is no way I could look at the speedometer and safely drive the car. So, if you know for sure you were going 40 MPH, that means you took your eyes off the road or you probably would have dealt with the gravel better.
Along those same lines, I wish that the Lotus had a redline buzzer instead of just a red light on the dash. It makes shifting at redline much easier. Looking at the tach is difficult when pushing the car to the limit.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Actually its easy to know how fast your going just by which gear you're in and how far down you have the gas pedal pressed. But thanks for trying.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Monsta, glad to hear you're ok, I hope the insurance works out. If you get your car fixed, or buy another Lotus, I highly encourage you to join the Audi Club and come to one of the Chicago Chapter's driving schools this summer. I say the Audi Club b/c that's my favorite (focus on safety, good instruction, etc), but any performance driving school will do. It's the only way to safely explore the full range of dynamics and performance of your car. Hope to see you around!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
You know what?! Black driver, Black tires, a full black package on the car. Ooooo that is definately the reason and not because of lifting. I think im going to sue Lotus. And if im not mistaken, that bridge pillar was white.
That's the best post I've read in awhile.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
Hey Monsta, glad to hear you're ok, I hope the insurance works out. If you get your car fixed, or buy another Lotus, I highly encourage you to join the Audi Club and come to one of the Chicago Chapter's driving schools this summer. I say the Audi Club b/c that's my favorite (focus on safety, good instruction, etc), but any performance driving school will do. It's the only way to safely explore the full range of dynamics and performance of your car. Hope to see you around!
Dont worry. I am first in line for driving school. The funny thing is that I had already planned on doing it. But dammit I didnt even last until then. Im not too worried about the insurance. I do have GAP coverage just in case GEICO doesnt cover it all. BTW, anyone have a rough guess as to how much GEICO will pay on the car? 06 with 17k miles.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Dont worry. I am first in line for driving school. The funny thing is that I had already planned on doing it. But dammit I didnt even last until then. Im not too worried about the insurance. I do have GAP coverage just in case GEICO doesnt cover it all. BTW, answer have a rough guess as to how much GEICO will pay on the car? 06 with 17k miles.
My guess? Not enough.

I'm thinking that my guess is a good one.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
My guess? Not enough.

I'm thinking that my guess is a good one.
Yeah I think its a good guess too. GAP to the rescue.

·
Registered
660 Posts
2nd for Chicago Audi Club!:up:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
If you think that the car is really worth more than you owe on it and their settlement number is too low, decline the first settlement check. Then ask them to find you a clean replacement with similar miles (not more) and remind them that you'll have to pay tax on the new car.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
What should he have done? I'm not trying to be a smart ass.. JUST WONDERING
Not lift. Lifting mid-corner in a mid-engined car is like trying to throw a dart backwards. It WILL spin around. Sure there's a way to fix it in time, but if you lifted mid-corner, you certainly won't know what to do when all hell breaks loose.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
+1 on autocrossing and then driving school.

Start with autocrossing. Autocrossing will give you an experience that is closer to the situations you'll find yourself on the street IMO. It's also safer to spin in an open parking lot than at the track with cars that may be behind you. The speeds entering a turn won't be 90+ mph like on a track (which I'm hoping you never do on the streets). Find an instructor that is from a mid-engine car and you'll learn a ton in a very short amount of time (it's also a whole lot cheaper). Spin and then spin again. Learn why you spun and how to take some of the same turns at the same speed without spinning. Then take those lessons to a driving school.

I truly believe I am a better driver due to autocrossing. I hope to go to a driving school soon to be a better racer.

I'm sorry about your car, but as expressed by everyone here I'm so glad that both you and your passenger are OK. Hope to hear you are in a brand new Lotus soon.

121 - 135 of 135 Posts