The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This follows the Entry Sill Top Trim Removal Tutorial.

Again, I bought CF sills from Jacob, but couldn't find any instructions on how to install the CF sills, so I'm writing one up here.

1. Remove the sill top trim per the Entry Sill Top Trim Removal Tutorial. Starting from the passenger side is easier, because you don't have to deal with wires on the driver side until you have it all figured out.
  2. Remove the two screws at the top of the coin pocket. Note: You have a smaller chance of dropping your screw down the hole if you perform this step before removing the sills.
  3. Edit: (thanks, tespirit) With one hand on the bottom of the cover pulling down, carefully push down on the cover to dislodge the tabs, to which the following flathead screwdriver points.
  4. Do not use a flathead screwdriver to pry open the cover above the coin pocket. If you pry too hard, you will snap off one of the tabs, which is what I did here. :wallbang:
  5. Remove the two screws underneath the cover. Note: On the driver side, after removing these two screws, you may want to put the cover back on (with just one screw, part way), to make the CF sill installation easier. Otherwise, you will have the cover dangling from wires getting in the way.
  6. Prep the new sills by lining it up next to the stock sill from the other side of the car (to make a mirror image). Then apply the double-sided Scotch/3M tape accordingly. Note: Place a towel under the CF sill while doing this, or else whatever surface you have the CF sill on will end up scratching the CF sill.
  7. Put on the stock padding and double-sided Scotch/3M tape on the inside sides of the CF sill. If you don't have any padding underneath your sill, consider putting a lot of double-sided tape there to cushion it from cracking from weight/pressure.
  8. When inserting the new sill, be sure that the lip of the sill overlaps the dash plastic. Note: Practice this with the stock sill first, to avoid the risk scratching your shiny new CF sill.
  9. Pull the plastic dash out and push the CF sill in until the bottom of the coin pocket is flush, and you can see the holes. When putting in the screws, they might seem to be really loose at first, but will catch the thread at the very end.
  10. Reinstall all of the parts. Push down on the CF sills several times with a lot of force, to make sure that everything is secure.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Nice write up on the sill cover installation, however I would suggest not removing the filler panel by prying with a screwdriver as you describe in step 3. Instead, after removing the 2 screws, pull the lower part of the panel slightly outward with one hand while pushing. down on the face of the panel with your other hand. The panel should just slide down and out without breaking off either of the tabs.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice write up on the sill cover installation, however I would suggest not removing the filler panel by prying with a screwdriver as you describe in step 3. Instead, after removing the 2 screws, pull the lower part of the panel slightly outward with one hand while pushing. down on the face of the panel with your other hand. The panel should just slide down and out without breaking off either of the tabs.
Dang, that might have kept me from snapping one of the tabs off. :wallbang:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts