The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Also I added some 3M double-stick foam tape under the majority of the sill. In case anyone actually sat on the sill one day I wanted it to be properly supported. I figured the last thing I wanted is the sill cracking because someone put too much weight on it.
I sit on my Elise sills as an integral part of the entry-exit procedures. I'm pretty sure they are still the factory install.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Opened up the sill

I opened up the sill on the driver's side this past weekend.

It was very interesting but I didn't find anything loose in there.

Here are some photos for the curious.

My sill was very sticky at the rear end of the sill but the rest was not sticky at all. It took me about 20 minutes to free up one end of the sill and then it came off easily after that.

Thanks Dylan for the encouragement. It was not messy. I put it back together using the existing tape and glue.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
This is what it looks like inside the sill area. The interior photos were taken with a camera inserted at the front looking towards the rear. On the left is the aluminum frame and on the right and bottom is the fiberglass body.

The switch is the door ajar switch that is near the front of the sill.

Visually, I didn't see any rocks in the base of the sill.

I used a magnetic tool to hunt down loose metal objects, but didn't find any.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
The final set of photos.

1) Hoses near the front of the sill
2 & 3) The triangular metal pieces under the rear of the sill cover
4 & 5) My LED camera on the ground and the picture it took.

The triangular-shaped pieces are perhaps a foot long. Behind that there is another big area that extends to the rear wheel liner. My magnetic tool did not pick up anything.

The LED camera picture shows part of that big area. I'm not sure of the orientation of what is shown in the last picture. It is difficult to determine if there is anything loose there. I think I'll need to access that area by removing the rear wheel and wheel liner.

Attachments

21 - 24 of 24 Posts