The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call today from a friend. He started a new job at the EPA in March, in DC.

He’s into cars a little. We’d discussed people who are not racing removing their cats for a few more horsepower or even for more noise. We both agreed this wasn’t a good move.

It turns out that he’s been assigned the task of visiting car websites to track down those who posted that they removed their cats from street cars.

He cited Section 203(a) (3) of the Clean Air Act. Apparently, the fines are pretty big…up to $10k.

Since our site is one of the smaller, I don’t think the EPA will get to Lotus cars very quickly, but perhaps eventually.

·
Premium Member
11,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naked rear + no cat = easy pickins

:popcorn:
Oh, I'd not thought of that. Do you mean that anyone who shows up at one of our Lotus events could be "tagged"?????

I guess this would mean that even photos of cars with "naked rears" are fair game, whether or not owner admitted to decatting?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
The guys were talking about this yesterday while going through my car and putting the cat back on :wallbang:. Kind of stupid if you ask me but I guess I fall into the "to add HP" crowd. I told them we don't have sniffer tests in my home state so who's gonna know but the car is currently being worked on (as well am I) in a state with sniffers and rouge dork popo so... I'll take it back off when it gets home.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If he's really spending our $$$ to do that, he's really wasting his time and our money. The percentage of people who swap off the cats is so freaking small as to not be worth the trouble of enforcement. Tell him to spend his time going after big corporations that pollute. It's "environmentalism theater", similar to the "security theater" of the TSA. No one is fooled.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Pollute so hard EPA wanna fine me, but first they gonna find me

·
Premium Member
11,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If he's really spending our $$$ to do that, he's really wasting his time and our money. The percentage of people who swap off the cats is so freaking small as to not be worth the trouble of enforcement. Tell him to spend his time going after big corporations that pollute. It's "environmentalism theater", similar to the "security theater" of the TSA. No one is fooled.
Maybe. But, the DOT went after the TV shows where airbags were removed under the guise of "customization", e.g Jesse James's show. I'd guess this had a chilling effect of those considering doing the same.

As to the value of this search & fine process, it's pretty easy to do. Let's say there are 200 guys here who are found to have illegally removed cats.

200 X $10,000 per fine = $2,000,000.

I imagine that a site could take a week to search, at the very most.

Wouldn't the EPA like to bring in $2 million a week?

Wouldn't this deter others from illegally modifying cars?

Note that this can be done by one guy sitting at his desk.....

Pollute so hard EPA wanna fine me, but first they gonna find me
I don't know if you're kidding here. But, adding to air pollution unnecessarily seems a bad idea. Race cars, sure. Street cars, bad.

For example, tho, they can easily find you...right on this thread and thru any other posts you've made about modifications you've made.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
In FL they dont have emission testing, but I heard from someone that works at Daytona Speedway that they were told that starting next year they will have to inspect street cars that participate in events such as parade laps and other non racing events to make sure that they have a converter as part of the safety checks. If the car does not not have one they will be recording the VIN number and forwarding it to the state to check and see if the vehicle is registered for street use. Also was told that starting next year, Harleys and other motorcycles that attend Bike Week events will also have to pass a similar test to make sure that their exhausts arent modified to exceed specific decible levels.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
It turns out that he’s been assigned the task of visiting car websites to track down those who posted that they removed their cats from street cars.
Yeah, this is just the way I want my tax dollars spent. More of my money wasted in Washington. :wallbang: I hope this is an April Fool's joke.

·
Wingless Wonder
5,400 Posts
Argh. Time to change my Profile. I don't wanna be rousted! :no:

Thanks for the warning, glb.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
@glb: No. At $10k, it's worth hiring a lawyer to fight it. Fines aren't just a win for the gov't - they have to *prove* you did these things, not just posted about them.

·
Premium Member
11,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In FL they dont have emission testing, but I heard from someone that works at Daytona Speedway that they were told that starting next year they will have to inspect street cars that participate in events such as parade laps and other non racing events to make sure that they have a converter as part of the safety checks. If the car does not not have one they will be recording the VIN number and forwarding it to the state to check and see if the vehicle is registered for street use. Also was told that starting next year, Harleys and other motorcycles that attend Bike Week events will also have to pass a similar test to make sure that their exhausts arent modified to exceed specific decible levels.
Wow.

There are bikes around that are way too loud, so that's ok by me.

Note that there are drive-by sniffers, which work surprisingly effectively.

I think this means that even in states without emissions testing, one could get a ticket. Not sure.

·
Premium Member
11,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, this is just the way I want my tax dollars spent. More of my money wasted in Washington. :wallbang: I hope this is an April Fool's joke.
see above. It's an easy way for EPA to bring in funding. (I assume the fine $ goes to them...)

·
Premium Member
11,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@glb: No. At $10k, it's worth hiring a lawyer to fight it. Fines aren't just a win for the gov't - they have to *prove* you did these things, not just posted about them.
Not an attorney (much to mom's dismay), but confessing on line would seem to make their case strong.

Maybe someone w/legal background can walk thru how this works.

·
Registered
796 Posts
200 court cases would probably cost more in gov fees than they would get back. basically will keep the gov employees working for the year, but away from more important cases. theft, robberies, murder, balancing the budget and 0'ing our our national debt...

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I'm sure it's April Fool's, but it brings up an interesting question: would a government interested in the environment use mobile sniffers that would measure actual pollution/polluters or would that interest be outweighed by the political rewards of supporting an inefficient, low-skill state government EPA jobs program?

The answer: you do both. The acquisition of power is the function of government, not serving the interests of the people.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
I got a call today from a friend. He started a new job at the EPA in March, in DC.

He’s into cars a little. We’d discussed people who are not racing removing their cats for a few more horsepower or even for more noise. We both agreed this wasn’t a good move.

He cited Section 203(a) (3) of the Clean Air Act. Apparently, the fines are pretty big…up to $10k.

Since our site is one of the smaller, I don’t think the EPA will get to Lotus cars very quickly, but perhaps eventually.
Your friend is a fool in April but I must admit, you got me going for a few seconds...

·
Premium Member
11,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
200 court cases would probably cost more in gov fees than they would get back. basically will keep the gov employees working for the year, but away from more important cases. theft, robberies, murder, balancing the budget and 0'ing our our national debt...
I'm pretty certain the EPA doesn't handle theft, murder, etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts