The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
This is my first post on this forum, I visit nearly every day and it’s a great source of information. I'm from New Zealand and own two Esprit's, a 1988 Carb Turbo and a 1999 V8 SE which I purchased about six months ago.

My question is for the V8, when the car is at a standstill and idling the speedo jumps around, this only happens every so often but does seem to be happening more often. The needle acts like the rev counter! Once the car is moving it does seem to settle down and read pretty well correctly when compared to a GPS. Just worried this might be an indication something needs looking at that could become more serious or is this a Lotus 'feature' :)

Your help is appreciated

Thanks
Greg

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Could it just be a bad gauge? I know the V8 gauge commonly has a problem with the odometer reading. Maybe it's flakey in general.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
All kinds of strange behavior can occur if the battery is low. The first thing I suggest is you get the battery fully charged and load-tested. If it is over 5 years old just replace it. Then see if you still have this. It could just be a loose connection in the binnacle.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
180 Posts
I tried to find an old thread on the lotus forums....
I had a similar problem on my 98, it ended up being a
fuse in the boot. It was a 5amp, not sure which one, but it will be
blown. The old thread had a pic of location and fuse, but if you inspect the
fuses ( 5amp ) in the back panel, you might find it by trail and error
sorry I could not be anymore specific
hope you get a resolution...

·
Registered
284 Posts
This has been reported before by various people. I've seen my speedo jump when cranking the engine to start, but very intermittently. Seems the culprit can be poor voltage to the ECU???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts