The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day the 30 second wrench icon appeared each time I started the car. I checked the error codes and read the following:

P300 - multiple random misfires - permanent
P301 - cylinder #1 misfire - permanent
P306 - cylinder #6 misfire - permanent

I tried to clear the error codes but was unable to clear them for the first time. After consulting the owner's manual I made an appointment thinking with permanent error codes, the service person would be able to pinpoint the problem and fix it.

Two days later I took it in to have it looked at. The wrench icon was gone. The serviceman read the same codes and was also unable to clear them. He said something about consulting with someone on the west cost to see what to do.

So far the codes are still there and still permanent.

Anyone else have this problem? What is the fix?

The car continues to run perfectly.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Could be a corrupted ecu file... a reflash of the ecu with the factory scan tool would correct this issue.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Error Codes, etc.

Service Notes

Back to the dealer for the following (a three day stay):

Unable to clear error codes
Cruise Control intermittent
Exhaust rattle/vibration

The service tech's efforts were directed by Dave Simpkin (sp?) from the west coast. Dave mentioned when washing the car I place a cover over the engine to avoid various error code tell tales.

Error Codes: It was explained to me there are now two types of error codes: active, and inactive. A new feature/requirement on all cars is error codes be permanently recorded in the ECU? I have several related to cylinder misfires which cannot be cleared - those have been classified as inactive. Apparently the ECU was re-flashed with the new error code recording software?

The cruise control has been intermittent for some time. A new spring clip (I think that’s what it was called) was ordered for the steering column.

Related to the intermittent cruise control issue (according to Lotus) is the 30 second wrench icon tell tale. Once cruise control is fixed, the wrench tell tale should no longer appear.

BTW - I was told Lotus parts can only be ordered on Thursdays.

I noticed a rattle/vibration coming from the exhaust. The dealer said this is a known problem to Lotus, but no fix has been issued. It sounded to me as though it was coming from inside the muffler? The rattle/vibration is also intermittent.

The car continues to run just fine.

·
Illegal Alien
5,138 Posts
I noticed a rattle/vibration coming from the exhaust. The dealer said this is a known problem to Lotus, but no fix has been issued. It sounded to me as though it was coming from inside the muffler? The rattle/vibration is also intermittent.
I too have an occasional weird rattle from the rear, mostly while backing up… which I related to engine torqueing over in opposite direction causing a clearance problem? or poor clutch usage (you almost slip it to easy out of driveway)..

If you don't mind I would like you to test a new hypothesis that I have. Fill the gas tank full and see if you still have the rattle!

I noticed my rattle for first time a few weeks back after the car was in for regular service. While my first thoughts were to a loose undershield or slight misalignment permitting exhaust to hit the shields I then noticed that on filling the tank from a near empty state that the rattle went away. I still need to cycle the tank but wonder if internal baffle shields are loose and without the gas to dampen movement they vibrate.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I too have an occasional weird rattle from the rear, mostly while backing up… which I related to engine torqueing over in opposite direction causing a clearance problem? or poor clutch usage (you almost slip it to easy out of driveway)..

If you don't mind I would like you to test a new hypothesis that I have. Fill the gas tank full and see if you still have the rattle!

I noticed my rattle for first time a few weeks back after the car was in for regular service. While my first thoughts were to a loose undershield or slight misalignment permitting exhaust to hit the shields I then noticed that on filling the tank from a near empty state that the rattle went away. I still need to cycle the tank but wonder if internal baffle shields are loose and without the gas to dampen movement they vibrate.
I have a MY2012 S and have been experiencing a buzz/rattle from the exhaust since I got the car in May. On my car the rattle is coming from the valve in the exhaust that opens when you engage the Sport mode. There is a problem with the vacuum source that actuates the valve. It buzzes like an angry rattle snake at low RPM before the vacuum builds in the engine, especially at start up. Lotus is aware of the problem, but does not know how to fix it yet. They claim the issues lies in the vacuum source and not the valve itself, which seems a bit strange.

As for the prior post, this explanation would not be valid since the IPS is N/A and does not have the valve, correct?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IPS N/A no valve?

As for the prior post, this explanation would not be valid since the IPS is N/A and does not have the valve, correct?
If the valve you are referring to comes into play when in sport mode, the IPS has sport mode and behaves and sounds differently.

I'll have to test the full tank theory. It is currently nearly full, and there is no exhaust rattle/vibration. Everything is nice and quiet. When it was happening, I got on the floor creeper to try and determine the source - it was loud and clear. It seemed to be internal to the muffler? I do not know the status of the gas tank at that time. The rattle/vibration would go away if the engine RPMs were increased.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If the valve you are referring to comes into play when in sport mode, the IPS has sport mode and behaves and sounds differently.

I'll have to test the full tank theory. It is currently nearly full, and there is no exhaust rattle/vibration. Everything is nice and quiet. When it was happening, I got on the floor creeper to try and determine the source - it was loud and clear. It seemed to be internal to the muffler? I do not know the status of the gas tank at that time. The rattle/vibration would go away if the engine RPMs were increased.
This definitely sounds like the same issue I am experiencing. You can change the tone of the buzz by toggling between Sport on/Off while you are hearing it. That is how I originally isolated it.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
AFAIK all 2012 cars have the new valved sport exhaust. In 2011 it was only the S models.

·
Illegal Alien
5,138 Posts
All 2012's have a Sport mode with valued exhaust so not just related to S models. Good calll on the valve and your new post on the subjects.

·
Illegal Alien
5,138 Posts
Being replaced under warranty

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
ECU's usually set two types of codes called 'Soft Codes' and 'Hard Codes'

A Soft Code is when there could be a problem with a sensor but is intermittent which will cause the light to come on and go off at any given time.

A Hard Code is when there is a recognized problem buy the ECU and the light stays on.

Some ECU's have different ways of clearing codes. You used to be able to just connect a scan tool and turn off the light however Motor Vehicle inspection stations became wise to that trick because if a 'Check Engine Light' was on you fail inspection.

Now the ECU's need to complete a number of 'Drive Cycles' after said problem is repaired to clear it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
A little late to help with your problem, but I'm only just reading this thread now.

The cruise control has been intermittent for some time. A new spring clip (I think that’s what it was called) was ordered for the steering column.

Related to the intermittent cruise control issue (according to Lotus) is the 30 second wrench icon tell tale. Once cruise control is fixed, the wrench tell tale should no longer appear.

BTW - I was told Lotus parts can only be ordered on Thursdays.

You may want to peruse this thread on cruise control problems. The part your dealer ordered is the clockspring connector (not spring clip), and I'm almost certain it's not the problem. If it were, your cruise control would work fine unless and until you turned the steering wheel-- but I bet that isn't what's happening.

If the clockspring replacement "fixes" your cruise problem, it's only because they reconnected the cruise switch harness to the two cruise switches in the steering wheel. It's this connection that causes intermittent weirdness with the cruise control.

As for only ordering from Lotus USA once a week, that is very common with the dealers I've talked to. Nothing to do with Lotus that I'm aware of-- the dealers just do it to save on shipping charges.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cruise control fixed

A little late to help with your problem, but I'm only just reading this thread now.

You may want to peruse this thread on cruise control problems. The part your dealer ordered is the clockspring connector (not spring clip), and I'm almost certain it's not the problem. If it were, your cruise control would work fine unless and until you turned the steering wheel-- but I bet that isn't what's happening.

If the clockspring replacement "fixes" your cruise problem, it's only because they reconnected the cruise switch harness to the two cruise switches in the steering wheel. It's this connection that causes intermittent weirdness with the cruise control.
A clockspring was installed and so far the cruise control now works perfectly every time. I may not get a chance to continue using it for a while since snow is falling outside.

Prior to taking the car in to get the error codes and cruise control issues examined, I copy pasted your suggestion to check for loose connectors and sent it to the Lotus service tech. The dealer forwarded your suggestion to Dave Simpkins on the west coast who works with Lotus techs to solve problems. He called me and was not happy with the loose connector idea. He said he wanted to talk with you. He was concerned the pins might get bent and the connectors ruined. I just let him go on and did not say anything. Why anyone would use enough force to bend connector pins does not make sense.

Anyhow it appears the new clockspring solved the problem I was having, along with reconnecting the switches?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts