The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my '06 Exige about 2 months ago. It came with a detector installed by a PO. Seller told me a fuse was pulled to disable it. After some digging I got it back working. It is a Passport 9500ci, super top of the line system and very expensive. It detects and jams both radar and LIDAR/laser (i guess). In my line of work, I have a good relationship with local law enforcement. In a casual conversation yesterday I was talking about the system I may or may not have on one of my cars. I said it was a detector and jammer. He said it is a FELONY!!!! to have one.

Is that true in Michigan? I obviously want to believe and trust him but also do not want to believe it is true and have to remove the system. It is all nicely installed but I will not keep it in the car if it has to always be off. I searched and all I have found says that this is all legal. If actually a felony, i would like to see the law stating that. I also was thinking about calling up a local attorney to see what they had to say

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
it is federally illegal to jam 'radio/radar' waves - your detector does not do this.

it is federally legal to jam light waves. your detector does do this.

i do not know what the states laws are. but federally, you are good to go!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O ok, thanks a lot for clearing that up. So if a cop hits me with a gun, what happens? Its just a light wave?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Laser jammers are illegal to use in CA. My car has a switch for me to turn them on and off. I simply leave it off while in CA. If I drive to NV, turn them on.

So even if it's illegal in MI, just turn them off or install a switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts