The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back my Esprit 1988 turbo after not seeing it for a long time, and the ignition key does not open or locks the door locks. Are these diffeent or it just my car? If you need to have same key for all, do you have to cut a different one?

·
Super Moderator
3,731 Posts
I just got back my Esprit 1988 turbo after not seeing it for a long time, and the ignition key does not open or locks the door locks. Are these diffeent or it just my car? If you need to have same key for all, do you have to cut a different one?
There are two keys on my 88 Esprit - a short key for the door and a longer normal key for the ignition. Definitely different keys. On mine, for whatever reason, the door key should be the same as the glove box, but it doesn't seem to work quite right.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope there is a way vto have them all consolidated.

any idea how much a set of door locks with keys would sell for?

·
Super Moderator
3,731 Posts
I hope there is a way vto have them all consolidated.

any idea how much a set of door locks with keys would sell for?
No idea but a local locksmith should be able to give estimate. Not likely to consolidate keys - I'm considering electronic door remote but still nice to have key for lock.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've installed those inexpensive keyless entry kits on about 5 cars now. You just mount and install the power actuators in the doors then run the wiring to the elctronic box. If you do that you will never have to use your door key again. I have used those kits that are like $40 dollars on ebay and found them to be very functional and have a real long range. The only thing I dont like about them is the keyfob looks sorta cheap, but I have not had one fail yet, in the electronics part or the actuator parts. I installed one in my old 78 Trans Am and my old 73 Mustang convertible. Its cool to have an old ride with keyless entry.

I have not done my Esprit yet as I just have not had time. The only thing I have seen so far is the Esprit door wire loom rubber boot looks more difficult to get to inside the car than other cars I've done, but not impossible. When I do this I'll post up photos of the install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts