The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -- my 2002 Anniversary Edition Esprit V8 has been stored since 2004. It had around 4000 miles when I put her away. I bought it new.

Cool forum here, this is my first post! I'm a big fan, I bought my first Esprit, a new one, in 1995, the S4s, another excellent machine.

My 2002 has been stored in my detached garage -- not climate-controlled, but here in California, in the Silicon Valley area, we do not get a winter, our daytime temps get as cold as the 50s and we get some rain. Not sure if it matters then if I stored the beast in my detached garage.

What should I do to get her running again? The car is 100% bone stock. I have not started the car since 2006. I've already drained the gas tank as of yesterday, and put new fuel in the tank. Nothing else though. I do not work on the car myself.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
:popcorn:

Can you detail what you did to it when you put it away? Has it been sitting on its tires, unmoved, all this time? Has the battery been connected? You're just now draining the gas...there is still old gas in the fuel pump and throughout the system. Did you use fuel stabilizer? Coolant? Brake fluid? did you put fresh oil in it before you stored it? Have you turned the engine over at all? Recently or at any time during its hibernation?

Bringing it 'back to life' has everything to do with what you did when you 'put it down.'

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't do any pre-storage prep. It's been resting on the tires, which deflated a bit over the years. Since it was nearly brand-new, it had only 1 oil/filter change and nothing else. I haven't turned her over at all. I did disconnect the battery though.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I didn't do any pre-storage prep. It's been resting on the tires, which deflated a bit over the years. Since it was nearly brand-new, it had only 1 oil/filter change and nothing else. I haven't turned her over at all. I did disconnect the battery though.
Oh dear. You could be very, very lucky and have little to do, or more likely your car will require an extensive going through of just about everything: electrics, brakes, engine, trans, all rubber parts, cooling system...

Just putting the car away for the winter it's advisable to do a number of things so that the car is revived unscathed just two or three months later. It's not just about being in the cold. It's about sitting, no lubrication, deterioration of just about everything. It's about moisture condensing everywhere you don't want it.

You'll even have to check to make sure no critters have taken up residence in your air box!

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Did you at the very least fog the cylinders?
Was the car sitting on tires all this time, I suppose it does not matter the tire are 10 years old and probably not road worthy or safe?

I think the 1st step is to find out if the engine will rotate but if it was in high humidity and cyl not fogged the pistons could get stuck or sticky. Injectors might be gummed up. and a complete fluid change is in order. You need to get a hold of Roy and some GGLC guys to go over the car before you fire it up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not fog the cylinders.

Might the serpentine timing belt need to be replaced?

I've looked at the rubber bits and see no deterioration. That's probably because everything was nearly brand-new at the time of storage.

The mechanic who installed new fuel said that a fluid change is called for and a new battery and to keep the revs very low when she starts. He said the tires looked fine but due to age it was best to replace them.

But he thought that the timing belt should be fine since it had very little use.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
You'll even have to check to make sure no critters have taken up residence in your air box!
HAHA When I went to check the box with parts that came with an unfinished project car. There were nuts in my intake plenum. Real nuts that looked like sunflower, LOL chipmunk food.

I think Lindemann had a snake skin from a large snake in the light pod.

Do not crank engine till service has been done. I would not trust 10 y/o belts and rubber parts.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
If the timing belt fails its 10K + for the engine since you do not do any engine work. I would not trust a 10 y/o belt. Same for the tires. While they may look fine, cars like the Lotus are driven in a robust manner so it is a little more important that items like those be in top conditions. With Lotus it is not the primary failure that is costly but the 2nd and 3rd order damage that results from failure of an inexpensive part.
Get a hold of the Golden Gate Lotus Club and ask for assistance

Roy help this guy out. As helpful as this site is nothing beats a live experienced person at the car to provide assistance. Do not be over anxious and try to start the car before it has been gone over and checked out. I think you will be okay but if a mistake is made at this point it could be costly

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I've looked at the rubber bits and see no deterioration. That's probably because everything was nearly brand-new at the time of storage.

The mechanic who installed new fuel said that a fluid change is called for and a new battery and to keep the revs very low when she starts. He said the tires looked fine but due to age it was best to replace them.

But he thought that the timing belt should be fine since it had very little use.
Rubber may not look deteriorated, but it can still be breaking down. Temperature, humidity, lack of use (loses compliance just like you do if you don't stretch). Just like something can be used to the point of wearing out, machines wear out differently if they are not being used and exercised.

Seriously, if you were to try to sell this car right now, the manner in which it was stored and the potential issues lying within would make it difficult to sell, especially at a reasonable (to you) price.

The advice to get someone knowledgeable involved ( an Esprit mechanic would never dismiss the potential issues around a 10 year old timing belt simply because it hasn't seen much use) is excellent. You're likely going to have to open your wallet to get the car right, but much less so than if you try to get it going without knowing what you're doing.

Where you live, you could have taken your car for a half hour drive once a month or so this whole time. Sure, you'd have a few miles on it, but you'd be in much better shape.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
curious, why has it sat unattended for 10+years?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
curious, why has it sat unattended for 10+years?
Absolutely disastrous, horrific life challenges and changes. Divorce, death, business failure, and more freaking awful nasty stuff. In Silicon Valley in the days after the dot-com bubble burst, it was death here.

The only reason I even bothered with keeping it was it was just brand new when I got it and I really loved it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Absolutely disastrous, horrific life challenges and changes. Divorce, death, business failure, and more freaking awful nasty stuff. In Silicon Valley in the days after the dot-com bubble burst, it was death here.

The only reason I even bothered with keeping it was it was just brand new when I got it and I really loved it.
Except for the divorce part I can relate.. I had a company in Palm's heyday called PalmGear.com which of course is for all practical means and purposes gone as is Palm.. It was a fun ride though..

·
Super Moderator
4,037 Posts
Hi all -- my 2002 Anniversary Edition Esprit V8 has been stored since 2004. It had around 4000 miles when I put her away. I bought it new.
[snip] but here in California, in the Silicon Valley area, we do not get a winter, our daytime temps get as cold as the 50s and we get some rain. [snip]
What should I do to get her running again? The car is 100% bone stock. I have not started the car since 2006.[snip]Nothing else though. I do not work on the car myself.
I'm in San Jose and daily drive my 88 Esprit (although it's been in the shop for 2 weeks now for a transmission issue). I also do not work on the car myself - you definitely do not want to rely on a 10 year old timing belt especially on a V8.

Dietschwerks (Charcot and Junction in San Jose ) is where I go - you may want to give Rob a call - he got my Esprit refreshed in 2011 (see my garage) and can advise you - he did Service B work a few months ago on a 2003 Esprit Final Edition. There are other places too that may be closer to you.

By the way - did I meet you at Trader Joe's on Coleman a year ago? Someone with a late model V8 Esprit saw my spoiler-less Esprit at Trader Joe's and we chatted. But his name was different than yours (unless you go by a nick name). How many V8 guys are there in San Jose with cars in long term storage?

The reason I remember - I asked him a question about his car; he didn't know as he said he had not driven the car in years - in long term storage like yours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm in San Jose and daily drive my 88 Esprit (although it's been in the shop for 2 weeks now for a transmission issue). I also do not work on the car myself - you definitely do not want to rely on a 10 year old timing belt especially on a V8.

Dietschwerks (Charcot and Junction in San Jose ) is where I go - you may want to give Rob a call - he got my Esprit refreshed in 2011 (see my garage) and can advise you - he did Service B work a few months ago on a 2003 Esprit Final Edition. There are other places too that may be closer to you.
Hi, what might they charge for the timing belt replacement roughly? It is a big job or little job?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Big job, but ABSOLUTELY critical at this age. Age is very relevant, particularly in a long term storage scenario such as this one. I would strongly advise against starting the car before it is changed.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
+1
I would strongly advise against starting the car before timing belt is changed.

I would put a little oil in the cylinders now to help the rings.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Hi, what might they charge for the timing belt replacement roughly? It is a big job or little job?
I don't know what's involved with a V8, but with the four cylinder it's 'easier' partially pulling the motor. VERY pricey. But on the upside while things are apart you can get a bunch of other things checked out.

·
Registered
480 Posts
A full belt change will set you back at least $2,000 to $2,500 for parts and labor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts