The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A simple AC top-up went bad requiring many hours of research as well as the car in the shop for days. The information I now provide is in the spirit to help others (mainly outside of Europe) so they do not have to go through what I just did.

When the AC was charged full and the main R134A hose from the refill system taken off, the Schrader valve (small bicycle type valve) in the Lotus line did not close releasing all the R134A in to the shop. The rest of the day was consumed by driving to 20 or so different auto repair, parts and commercial AC part supplies to find a replacement. By phone they all said they had one, but when it came time to match them up, none were the same. So no luck.

After several hours of research on the WWW I learned there are 12 different Schrader valves for AC use. , I eventually learned that the valve being used on my 1995 Esprit is called a European Standard Valve Core for automotive R134A refrigerant, Schrader part # 8089000070 8mmx6g Core. It is used exclusively on Volvo & Saab. Armed with this information I was able to return to my auto parts supplier and obtain one made by Four Seasons, part# 59335.

If you are having your AC system charged, I suggest you obtain this $5 valve beforehand in case yours does not close and the mechanic doing the charge does not have one on hand, particularly in Canada/USA. They may have the valve kits that have 6 or so different types and they will think they have one, even the parts store. Then when it is removed the comment becomes; "I've never seen one like that before". I suspect shops in Europe have the correct valve on hand.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
It is not uncommon for the schrader valves on the older R-12 systems to leak and good practice is to replace them when servicing the system. The valves used on the newer -134 systems are much more robust and it is unusual to see one fail. Of course that doesn't mean it can't happen but something went wrong. Maybe the service adapter you used damaged it somehow. Or it got contaminated with dirt or moisture.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My new one is a "replacement version" to the original which I have read is suspect to failures. My unconfirmed reasoning is that the R134A product is different to that of old refrigerant. 1995 is within the "change years for refrigerants" and my old valve rubber seal weakened after years in contact with the new the R134A oil.
Or like you said, dirt when it tried to close.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts