The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally I decided to bite the bullet and pull out the factory original installed Cobra 6422 system that was causing me a lot of trouble. When I armed the system with the key fob, the alarm would go off after 30 seconds which would indicate that the hood, a door, or the tailgate was open which wasn't the case.

A short while ago, I found out by sheer accident what the problem was. The car was parked in the garage and I had to go round the front end to get to my toolbox. With just a few inches between the garage wall and the front of the car I put my hand on the hood to steady myself and discovered that the hood was hot; the underhood inspection light was on permanently. Unhooking the wiring from the on/off switch on the passenger side front fender didn't turn off the light which meant there was a short somewhere in the system. As I keep the car on a battery tender all the time, I didn't notice any unusual current draw or battery drain.

Finally, I took the car to Electronics Depot in Altamonte Springs FL who suggested that I replace the Cobra system with a new Viper system which I did and now things are back where they should be. Thanks to Greg and Patrick at Electronics Depot for doing a great job on the alarm system and charging me a very competitive price even though they spent probably two full days on evaluating and solving the problem.

Thanks to SirLotus (Michael) and JT Realty (David T) for your help and suggestions on the problem, you both were a big help in getting this problem fixed. Thanks to both of you.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I wish I can do the same --- this stupid cobra alarm, nothing but problem.
The guy deleted the cobra system wirings and so on? Anything he did in the ecu?

Nice...i hope no more battery drain....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They completely removed the Cobra 6422 ECU alarm system and replaced it with a Viper 350 Plus system which has its own ECU module. Not sure about any battery drain as I always keep the car on a battery tender when it's parked in the garage.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Sounds like the problem was not really the alarm but the wiring to the front light. The biggest complaint I have with the Cobra alarm is if you have to get another bypass key it is a big deal and it is expensive. The other problem is the siren module. The battery eventually will need to be replaced but with Cobra you are supposed to replace the whole module, not just the battery. Removing the Cobra is a little complicated but if you have the wiring diagram it is not *too* bad. I hope the shop gave you all of the documentation so if you ever have a problem hopefully you can fix it! A Lotus shop can't anymore! On my car I usually leave the front and rear lights disconnected unless I feel the need for the added security.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually the shop had to get some help from the Lotus dealership in Orlando on getting the wiring diagram for the Cobra system and told me that without that wiring diagram they wouldn't have been able to do the swap. Not sure but they might have got it from the SirLotus sticky on LT. Thanks Michael.

One of the problems I had when I bought the car was that it only came with one key and fob. The new alarm system came with two new fobs so now I can go ahead and get a spare key made as the current key does not have a chip in it. I have found a source for the TMA key blanks although there is a minimum order of five, so I'll be posting the other four of them for sale later on if anybody needs a spare one.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My problem was the emergency touch key. It will not work, I can't use the bypass to start the ignition. Used to work before but now no more.
One of these days I might lose the battery charge in my key fob or lose the memory...i will be in the dark.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
My problem was the emergency touch key. It will not work, I can't use the bypass to start the ignition. Used to work before but now no more.
One of these days I might lose the battery charge in my key fob or lose the memory...i will be in the dark.
I can program "Touch Keys" into the system.
Michael

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A key fob battery should last at least 5 years with normal use. Might be a good idea to have it replaced if you're not sure of the last time it was replaced; you shouldn't have to do any reprogramming of the system after replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, finally I decided to bite the bullet and pull out the factory original installed Cobra 6422 system that was causing me a lot of trouble. When I armed the system with the key fob, the alarm would go off after 30 seconds which would indicate that the hood, a door, or the tailgate was open which wasn't the case.

A short while ago, I found out by sheer accident what the problem was. The car was parked in the garage and I had to go round the front end to get to my toolbox. With just a few inches between the garage wall and the front of the car I put my hand on the hood to steady myself and discovered that the hood was hot; the underhood inspection light was on permanently. Unhooking the wiring from the on/off switch on the passenger side front fender didn't turn off the light which meant there was a short somewhere in the system. As I keep the car on a battery tender all the time, I didn't notice any unusual current draw or battery drain.

Finally, I took the car to Electronics Depot in Altamonte Springs FL who suggested that I replace the Cobra system with a new Viper system which I did and now things are back where they should be. Thanks to Greg and Patrick at Electronics Depot for doing a great job on the alarm system and charging me a very competitive price even though they spent probably two full days on evaluating and solving the problem.

Thanks to SirLotus (Michael) and JT Realty (David T) for your help and suggestions on the problem, you both were a big help in getting this problem fixed. Thanks to both of you.
Dear,

Can you shed some light on the location of the alarm module? Trying to locate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts