The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1995 S4s came from the factory with the Lotus Sport Exhaust option, whatever that was at the time. Seems to be ok. The catalytic converter is now 17 years old, and I suspect has some issues. I see plenty of upgrades available in Europe, but with the exchange rate right now those are not appealing. For example, PUK has a cat that is fairly wide open internally. Does anyone make a similar product in the US?

Who in the US sells the exhaust back pressure valve eliminator?

If I decide to go with a cat test pipe, who sells that in the US?

·
Registered
860 Posts
My 1995 S4s came from the factory with the Lotus Sport Exhaust option, whatever that was at the time. Seems to be ok. The catalytic converter is now 17 years old, and I suspect has some issues. I see plenty of upgrades available in Europe, but with the exchange rate right now those are not appealing. For example, PUK has a cat that is fairly wide open internally. Does anyone make a similar product in the US?

Who in the US sells the exhaust back pressure valve eliminator?

If I decide to go with a cat test pipe, who sells that in the US?
I think JAE sells some exhaust upgrades.

Otherwise, go custom. It's probably cheaper anyways. I know a great exhaust shop in Miami that has done custom mandrel bent exhaust on numerous cars for me over the years.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I know it sounds crazy....but go to Midas....I've always had good luck with them doing crazy stuff..... they can bend anything in any direction.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I know it sounds crazy....but go to Midas....I've always had good luck with them doing crazy stuff..... they can bend anything in any direction.
midas could do it, but you'll end up with "crush bends." Youo really should have nice mandrel bends on an exhaust for a car as nice as these.

Crush bends are suitable for a "donk."

·
Registered
17 Posts
Contact information for the place in Miami? I am up in the Tampa area and I'm interested in a new exhaust and cat system for my '95 Esprit S4.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Miami Muffler. Speak with the owner, Miguel.

You can tell him that Andrew Harper recommended you. He's done alot fo work for me. I usually have him put the car in the air, and then I figure out how, where, and what I want done. I'm probably a bit different when it comes to exhaust systems though.

He's does loads of high performance exhaust systems for the forced induction crowd in Miami.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't go to a local muffler shop because I don't want to discuss the cat removal. Looking for a ready made part.

At this point my first step is the EBPV. I assume there is a flapper valve inside there. I have not removed the device to see, but would it not be possible to just cut out the flapper and shaft, and fill the shaft hole with a metal rod, then reinstall the empty shell?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes it is a pivoting valve. You can weld it or tie it open, you can remove flapper or you can replace flapper assembly with a donut sold by JAE and others. You can also install a higher flow cat in the downpipe and then have new ends on muffler and downpipe, eliminating the EBPv assembly
Don't forget to plug the vacuum line to the valve capsule.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know JAE sold the donut. I will look into that. Is there someone in the US who sells a high flow cat? I'd prefer to keep one there, even if its barely functions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts