The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my 1984 Turbo Esprit caught fire Friday night. It can be fixed. I need a rear bumper and L/H tail light lens. Can anyone suggest where I might be able to locate these?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Hey guys, my 1984 Turbo Esprit caught fire Friday night. It can be fixed. I need a rear bumper and L/H tail light lens. Can anyone suggest where I might be able to locate these?
Thanks
VERY sorry to hear this. To me it's like hearing an old friend is ill.

Try the usual suspects. RD Enterprises, Bean, and Sports Car World.

Sports Car World

Get on one of the Esprit centric forums and ask. Join Lotus Ltd if you've not already and put a classified on their web site. Most of the vintage Esprit owners don't come to Lotustalk, so you'll get better luck rummaging around other sites.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

There is also Jeff at JAE and Steve at S&J Sports cars over in the UK. Steve may be more expensive because of exchange rates and shipping but he stocks a lot of old Esprit parts.

I think there is a place in PA making bumpers but can't remember their information. Perhaps someone here on the list may know.

Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
dude! sorry to hear that! what happened?
be careful, the turbo gets hot, and in addition the cat converter is below and they are old and get clogged which produces a lot more heat, as well as backfiring.
what happened?
tomas
87 hci

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what happened. I think it was probably my fault, though. I was doing some carb work and I neglected to re-connect one of the fuel lines to the back carb. The car hadn't been running, so the engine was cold. After replacing the float covers, I got in to start her up and "whoomp", a fire started. Then it burned the main fuel line in half, and as fuel was leaking out of it (I may've lefty the key "on", so the fuel pump was pumping the fuel) a fire started underneath. I was able to push it out of the garage, get the garden hose, and finally extinguish the fire. Fortunately, the body was un-hurt and the inside of the engine bay has minimal damage. The people at GTM are going to repair it for me and Allstate says they'll pay up to $10,000.00. Externally, the rear diffuser will need re-paining and I need another rear bumper. The L/H tail light lens got a little scorched, so I need another one of them. There's a small hole burned in the trunk carpet set. None of the glass was broken. There's a little bubbling of the black part on the engine louvers. The fan shroud was off at the time while I was working on it. The shop is going to pull the engine and replace all hoses, lines, wiring, and belts plus re-paint the engine bay and the rear diffuser. They'll, of course, repair/replace anything underneath or in the wheel wells that need attention. I looked under it and there doesn't appear to be any carriage damage. Not nearly as bad as it could've been, but still...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
A guy had a couple of Esprit lamps for sale yesterday, check out the 'parts for sale' section. I'll see if I can find his post.

His user name is Sirayden, no offers as of yet,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts