The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
The heater and charge-cooler alloy chassis pipes can be removed by cutting them off bit by bit, but it’s an engine out job to replace them like-for-likem they will only go back in from the rear.

The latest hot tip is to use 15mm plastic heating pipes instead of the alloy pipes.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,394 Posts
The latest hot tip is to use 15mm plastic heating pipes instead of the alloy pipes.
How long has that solution been tested? Just curious.

When we had a kitchen addition put onto our house they used those somewhat flexible pipes. But they DO expand & contract quite a bit during heating and cooling. I had to secure the attachment clamps for them after a few years...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Whatever you do, don't forget the panel grommets.

Reactions: carbuff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi All. Just a quick update as I finally got my head around it. In the end I decided to take a risk and go for the shortest of the short-cuts, ie I cut the bit of the pipe that was pierced right through and pushed the hosepipe further in. I did have about 2 inches onto which I could attach the hose pipe and I secured it with 2 clamps. I hope this works.
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Tints and shades
Finger Gas Wood Thumb Nail

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Worth a try, hopefully it works long term. Probably should check after some mileage and retighten clamps if necessary.

That hole in the pipe looks like more than just corrosion, I'm thinking maybe some dissimilar metals electrolysis happening? Might be worth a look to see if the front or rear pipe grommets are worn thru and allowing the aluminum pipe to contact the steel chassis.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Worth a try, hopefully it works long term. Probably should check after some mileage and retighten clamps if necessary.

That hole in the pipe looks like more than just corrosion, I'm thinking maybe some dissimilar metals electrolysis happening? Might be worth a look to see if the front or rear pipe grommets are worn thru and allowing the aluminum pipe to contact the steel chassis.
I think the hole was cause by pinching. Maybe the clamp was overtightened, The reason I believe this is that it was exactly under the section of the jubilee clip where the worm meets the threaded strip, ie the thicker part of the clamp. I made sure not to over tighten them, so yeah, should be checked for looseness after some time

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,394 Posts
I think the hole was cause by pinching.
:cry:
Or, it was caused by circulation issues. (non-flowing coolant especially in the chargecooler or heater pipe circuits)...THIS is one reason we keep our heater control 'cracked' at the 5 o'clock position even during the summer. And why Chargecooler impellor pump issues create the same.

Too bad we can't get a coolant that co-exists with the AL in the car, and brass radiators).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

:cry:
Or, it was caused by circulation issues. (non-flowing coolant especially in the chargecooler or heater pipe circuits)...THIS is one reason we keep our heater control 'cracked' at the 5 o'clock position even during the summer. And why Chargecooler impellor pump issues create the same.

Too bad we can't get a coolant that co-exists with the AL in the car, and brass radiators).
If by circulation issues you mean that no water was passing through the pipes, then I dont think it was the case because when I pulled the pipe off the aluminium spout, water kept coming, so its not a blockage for sure. If you mean that the water is just sitting there and not moving around, well that I dont know, but I regularly do the "Touch the Chargecooler" test to see if its to hot to hold your hand on it. It always feels very warm but not boiling so I would say water is circulating through the chargecooler.
I think I would put it down to age too. It is 25 years old after all

21 - 28 of 28 Posts