The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm set to pick up my first Esprit (a 2001) in a few weeks, and one of the few mods I'm toying with is replacing the head unit with a screen that can accomodate a backup camera. I've seen a few for sale recently with this mod --- see the pic below as one example. I'm sure this is harder than it looks, as it requires moving the air controls and switches down a bit to accommodate the size of the unit. Has anyone on the forums done this sort of mod? Any helpful info would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,945 Posts
@JennasEspritTurbo put a backup camera on an '83.

Have you talked to an auto stereo shop? An alternative might be to install a head unit with a retractable screen. You could specify what features you want.

We have a good auto sound guy here in north NJ that owns a V8 Esprit. (Par-Troy Audio in Newton, NJ)

·
Scott M
294 Posts
Related question... Any suggestions on how to shop for a simple, direct swap replacement for the OE Alpine unit in my 2003 Esprit? Mine has consistently had issues which seem related to the connection of the detachable face plate.

The usual searching on LT and outside produced only unrelated results when I tried (again) moments ago. Thx!

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
751 Posts
Seems like someone just posted a detailed double DIN console frame mod in the last month or so, but I can't find it. Maybe it was on TheLotusForums. Minor welding to relocate heater controls if I recall correctly.

Esprit ICE Installation

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would look into those license plate frames with the backup camera built in. Buddy of mine installed one and it took him no time at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Scott M
294 Posts
Call Crutchfield.com They sell all kinds of audio stuff and they specialize in auto.
No dice.
The knowledge of Esprit by their customer service team mirrors that of their manufacturer drop-down list: nothing there.
She suggested I take it to a custom car audio place although that is not going to happen.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Even if they can't give you specific installation advice, they can help you decide what equipment to buy to do what you want. Installation is going to be up to you (or a custom shop).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, unfortunately this is not a simple mod on the Esprit (just like many other things), they made this much harder than it needed to be. I've replaced a dozen car stereos in my life but am actual scared to start this project on my own 1997 V8. The heating controls are welded to a frame, so first you need break those spot welds, move the heating controls to the desired location, and then spot weld it back into place. Also, the space taken up by a double-DIN head unit and heating controls does not take up the entire frame, so then you also need to fabricate some type of cover for the remaining opening. My plan is to take it to a professional installer (as recommended above) and have them do the labor. Also, for the cover that needs to be fabricated, I want them to integrate the three input ports for my headunit (2 USB and 1 HDMI) into this cover, so I don't have wires coming out of the dash or footwells.

Regarding what headunit to select, I've used the Pioneer AVH-NEX series in 2 vehicles so far (specifically the 4200NEX) and love them. Has Apple CarPlay and/or Android control, Pandora, HDMI input, backup camera input, satellite radio, Bluetooth, etc. Nice screen that's easy to see except in very direct sunlight (i.e. if sun is setting directly behind you). Have one car using it with an amp (GM Bose system with subwoofer) and one without an amp but headunit power is adequate to give decent sound. There is a newer version with wireless Apple CarPlay but I don't have experience with that model, and I don't mind the wired version because I want to charge the phone anyway as GPS and Pandora drains the battery quickly. Always purchased thru Crutchfield as their prices are usually better than the local big box stores.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have installed a Boss head unit with a backup camera using a license plate surround camera. Boss is one of the few single DIN units with a decent screen. It certainly is adequate for the backup function - good viewing for functional purposes. Probably be a bit of a stretch to watch video on it though.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Pioneer just came out with a unit that has a remote touch screen so now you don't need a din or double din to install a head unit. The control unit can be hidden and the screen can be anywhere convenient.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you are good with radio installs it’s pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It is metal wrapped with a carbon wrap

·
Registered
519 Posts
It was custom made I don’t think I will be removing it anytime soon to make another one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just finished replacing all the dash leather in my 2001. So decided to upgrade the stereo to provide a backup camera. I used a Pioneer AVH-3500NEX from Crutchfield. I first tried an Alpine Halo, it would not allow access to controls. Crutchfield took it back, for a full refund.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts