The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone post or send a link for the headlamp wiring diagram applicable to a 2003 Esprit v8? The low beams work but when high beam is selected the low beams go out and the high beams also fail to illuminate. Any theories? Thanks in advance.

·
My car sneezes
656 Posts
You could have two things going on.

1st: Its normal for low beams to go out when high beams are switched on. You can change that though. Fish around the wiring loom under the front relays for a bullet connection and a lose wire next to it. Undo the connection and redo the connection using the lose wire instead.(http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gmendoza98/HID/swap%20wires_zpsza3khoqr.jpg) I think some relays were moved out of the way for clarity in that pic

2nd: Does the blue light on the dash come on when you attempt to turn on the high beams? If so, you most likely have a bad high beam relay (AKA: main beam). If the blue light doesn't come on, more advanced troubleshooting needed.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,901 Posts
Another owner (S4s) found the common problem of relay socket CONNECTIONS (in the relay socket) being loose. The socket was somewhat melted and the outer high beam headlamps would not come on.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the feedback, much appreciated. In this case the problem turned out to be a loose contact in the relay socket. Just FYI on this 2003 V8 all 4 lamps illuminate with high beams, I don't think the car has been modified in that area. Also I have seen an S4s where all 4 came on, don't know if that one was modified.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts