The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
My office is in Irving, PM me if you would like me to go take a look at it for you. Note, I will be out of town 04.02 thru 04.12

Kenny

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
There are others who are excellent at picking up stuff purely by photos..

in the one below, is it normal for the screen between exhaust tips to be painted body color and not black?

Have you spoken to them yet?
- Mileage?

- Service history/records?

- Timing belt done?

For sale by owner or dealer?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Those are upgraded wheels, not the stock 1989. Looks like a Turbo (not an SE) based on no side vents for the oil coolers. That is also not the stock wing. Too bad no engine bay pictures. Price seems almost too good.

·
not your dad's puns
1,765 Posts
He's posted that on CL off and on, for at least a year and a half. He's come down a bit in that time. If you google the contact number, he seems to run/own some kind of automotive business. Was meaning to go check it out at some point, before I got my Eilse. :D Would also be happy to check it out for anyone non-local.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Donzi's SE is going for 18.5 with a lot of upgrades and Jamie's SE sold in the 17's. The car seems to be priced to sell. I don't think the price is all that low and its close to the going price for an 88 that it is

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Actually, that is not an '88, but rather an '89 with S4 wheels. You can tell by the newer '89 up mirrors (although '88 Commemoratives come with those) and Renault shifter with collar. I also remember it being an '89 back when a friend owned it.

Almost certain that is the old Sigurd Enoksen car from back in the day. He ordered an original V8/S4s rear spoiler (Hi Atwell!) back in the late 90s around '98 or so and this exact wing was the one which molds were taken off to make reproduction wings for some of us clubmembers including myself.

You can tell by the picture that it wears its original '88 to '89 non-SE side skirts. Don't know how it is or who has it now, but back in the day, it was a very well-maintained and cared for car. Personally, just going off the ad, I like that car. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck and I always liked the look of the non-SE side skirts painted body color combined with the newer wing. Looks even sleeker that way and looks like a much newer car with those S4 wheels. If I had the cash, I'd be seriously considering taking a flight out there to look at it. Sadly, I don't. :(

One concern that I did I have when I first saw the ad a while ago was no mention of odometer mileage. People almost always put the mileage in an ad, unless it is a high mile car or it could be that they merely forgot to check before they went to work where they placed the ad.

Naturally, you will want to inquire about the timing belt and maintenance (which depending on price may not be that big a deal), but mileage would be the first thing to ask.

Roy

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
It is true for most of us If we had the cash we would have had 10-15 cars by now.

I have a great Elise i would never sell and am now looking at a Evora,

·
Registered
268 Posts
Looks like a very nice car for an attractive asking price. If it's an '89 then you get the Renault transaxle instead of the Citroen one, and you get the nice non-airbag/non-GM steering wheel. Obviously it has the newer wheels and wing, but these both look good. The all-black interior doesn't have the two-tone dated look of the beige interior (like mine), so that's also kind of nice. Of course, maintenance and such matters but assuming that's all reasonable then it looks like a good buy.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
@ Cal
LOL!!!!! You know me well, my friend!

The other day, I was at a local Home Depot and was admiring the square footage of the store and thinking how great it would be to buy it and convert it into a personal car collection garage for me if all the shelves were gone. If I ever strike it rich, that's what I will do. Or if I'm humble, perhaps just a former Costco location...LOL :)

Not gonna happen, but it sure is nice to dream!

Happy Saturday, all!!!

Roy
Hot car collection? More like Hot Wheels collection!...LOL

·
Banned
938 Posts
That is a nice car!
I hope it works out for you.
That is quite the look Im after with my 89.
Mike
Curious..are the foglights/drving lights aftermarket?

·
Super Moderator
4,042 Posts
[snip]
Curious..are the foglights/drving lights aftermarket?
They are too small for the factory OEM Hellas on 88-89 non-SE Esprit.
Given how hard it is to find those lights, not a surprise.

FYI - Hella 450s I've been told can be substituted and look very close to OEM.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Hi.
Is that wing readily available?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
It looks like a nice car and the price is right but it has to be checked over by someone knowledgeable. Although it says all service is done you MUST check it against the time and the mileage. Don't forget to look at the date codes on the tires! At this price you have to assume you will be doing something to the car when you get it. Also check and see what "bits" come along like both tops, manuals, keys, tool kit etc.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Michael,
I love that look on a red '89 Esprit!
To be perfectly honest, that wing deal was back in '97 or '98 so sixteen or seventeen years ago! It was a mom and pop operation by a really nice couple who laid the fiberglass at home. Haven't heard of anyone ordering or putting on a wing from them in over a decade and a half.

I do recall that Sigurd originally ordered a factory wing from SJ Sportscars in the UK and that is the one that the molds were taken off of. If I were you, I would definitely scan eBay and online forums for someone parting out an S4s or '97 V8 Esprit (or perhaps a '98 up for the other styles)...you might come across a killer deal if the timing is right.

Roy

1 - 20 of 37 Posts