The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having brought my "new" baby home. I'd like to take her in for a general, un biased checkup. We have a lotus dealer in Tampa Bay... Perhaps more than one, but I was hoping to find an independent that's not layered in a corporate onion... If you know what I mean...

Anyone have a reference for Tampa Bay; specifically, St. Pete, Pinellas county?

Tks

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
St. Pete Lotus

Unfortunately in the immediate St. Pete area there are not any Lotus specific shops. The local (Dew Motors at last report) has a TERRIBLE reputation and and even worse reputation with Esprits. There are some local "exotic" shops (JL Auto being one) but I've never used them. There is also a local restorer who does a lot of very high end work (Realistic Auto) but they are very pricey and I do not know if they would be interested in doing a general inspection.

Myself and two other guys share a shop in St. Pete which is for our own use - right now we have four esprits, two replica Porshce 356's, a Porsche 944, and a Bentley as part of our collective. We are a pretty fully equipped garage (lift, compressor, chain hoist, shop crane, etc.). If you are a St. Pete person please stop on by. We would love to see the car and always want to keep in touch with any local Lotus owners. If you're interested PM me through the forum and I'll get you my phone #. I'm in Detroit this week but will be back in St. Pete late next week.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Try a good friend of mine James Morris who is one of the best mechanics I have ever known; he did a pre-purchase inspection of my 2001 Esprit V8 in St Pete and has worked on British/Lotus cars for many years in the Orlando area although he now lives in the Clearwater/St Pete area. He has access to a lift etc and may be willing to help out. He can be reached at [email protected].

·
Registered
576 Posts
Irox, I am one of the guys in with Tom. We know the 4 cyl well but not the V8 motor, although the rest of the car is almost identical.
Tom has literally torn down every bit of an Esprit(except aV8 motor) and put it back together.
We do have access to 2 four poster lifts.
I also use an excellent mechanic in St Pete (Art Ryan)for occasional Lotus work, and most work on my other cars(Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes ). He does inspections for me all the time, and is fairly priced. His shop ain't pretty and he only speaks in four letter words, but best and most honest I have met.
European Performance also has a good,but expensive rep.

If things work out I will be picking up a fifth Esprit next week......then may actually need to think about selling one in the next couple months when we get a few things repaired.

Look us up, would love to meet a V8

Randy 89SE, 94S4, 95S4, ?90SE, 90Porsche S2 Conv, Porsche 928 S4, 87 560SL, '10 BMW 135i Conv ......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts