The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a single, right-hand-side Esprit S1 taillight left over from when I tried (and failed) to restore a 'field find' 1977 Esprit a few years ago. It's new old stock from Italy; 5 or years ago I was supposed to receive the pair but only got the RHS.
While I certainly wouldn't mind selling this and making a few bucks, I really just want it off my pool table. Just... make it easy on me -- a couple of years ago I offered this on the S1 S2 S3 yahoo group and someone wanted me to drive 12 miles to drop it off at a particular shipper so he could save $6 on a home pickup.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just for your shock and horror, some pics of the field find that didn't make it:

As it sat in the field in South Jersey (for almost 20 years!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found out later the car had originally been white, but repainted red. At some point in its life the interior had been completely done in white leather. Then, for whatever reason, it got parked.... I was told vandals broke all the glass. White leather exposed to the elements over many years = disgusting.

Apparently only 14K miles:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got her home, started the teardown... it wasn't pretty in the least.

Red paint came off in sheets.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started cleaning up and refurbishing pieces

But at the end of the day, she was just too far gone. None of the interior was salvageable, the bulkhead had delaminated, much of the fiberglass had started to delaminate, and every nut and bolt I removed, after blasting and inspection, was too far corroded to reuse.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So as to not mislead, all other of the S1 parts are long gone. I just have the replacement taillight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a single, right-hand-side Esprit S1 taillight left over from when I tried (and failed) to restore a 'field find' 1977 Esprit a few years ago. It's new old stock from Italy; 5 or years ago I was supposed to receive the pair but only got the RHS.
While I certainly wouldn't mind selling this and making a few bucks, I really just want it off my pool table. Just... make it easy on me -- a couple of years ago I offered this on the S1 S2 S3 yahoo group and someone wanted me to drive 12 miles to drop it off at a particular shipper so he could save $6 on a home pickup.....

Unfortunately this attitude runs rampant in the Guigaro (and specifically S1/S2) community. I've owned 6 Esprits, loved them all and spared no expense on any of them, and it still amazes me what I see done to them at times - even from some of the more prominently known guys who concentrate on early Esprits.

As the former Judged Concours Chairman of a large US Lotus Club, I remember an S1 owner getting almost combative with me when I asked him why he used newspaper to restuff his original tartan plaid seats. It was coming out of the (splitting) seams. :crazyeyes

To be fair though, lots of other marques suffer from this as well, and there are plenty of guys in the Esprit community that are willing to go the distance to make a car right. That being said however, I agree with you on this Esprit Mike, in this state your poor S1 is now better off as a parts car, if only for your mental health. Thanks for offering up the taillight.

Art

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,088 Posts
I remember an S1 owner getting almost combative with me when I asked him why he used newspaper to restuff his original tartan plaid seats. It was coming out of the (splitting) seams. :crazyeyesArt
So, it wasn't Norwich (UK) newspaper then. <tsk> Pity.

:no:

rotfl rotfl rotfl

·
Registered
83 Posts
S1 S2 owners cheap ? - not here mate. Perhaps it's just the ones you associate with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
S1 S2 owners cheap ? - not here mate. Perhaps it's just the ones you associate with.
Geeze Gavin, there was no shot taken at you in my post (especially since we know each other I believe), but thanks for the volleyball spike my friend. I made it clear in my third paragraph that it wasn't everyone for sure, and the original poster in this thread certainly offered up an example of which I spoke of, no?

Happy holidays and happy motoring in the New Year through the Black Hills,

Art

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike, interested in selling the rear hatch?
Sorry, I should have made it clearer -- all the parts save the taillight are long gone, the body and chassis are in the hands of someone who swears it will re-emerge as a dedicated track car ("someday"). Every now and then I stumble across a stray bolt, bushing, whatever, but they're all too far gone to be of use to anyone.

The thread was a combination of nostalgia and a thinly-veiled way to get to 10 posts so I could sell an Elise engine in the classified section. :)

But I really am offering the NOS taillight for the cost of postage. There's got to be, what, several hundred S1s and possibly a half-dozen X1/9s left that use that taillight, right? ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Art, I was using my very dry English sense of humor. Sorry if it came across wrong. Merry Christmas to you too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts