The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am trying to replace a timing belt on a 1977 Esprit S1. The car was my dad's and has been sitting for about 24 years in our garage. I have taken off both of the v-belts and am having trouble getting the cam pulley off. I have taken off the bolt and washer and it is still very stuck on there. Am I missing something or is there any suggestions on how to go about getting this off?
Any feedback is helpful thank you!
-Sam

Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
Needs some HEAT. 馃槇

Registered
Heat, penetrating oil, patience. 24 years is a long time and the pulley and crankshaft have become very familiar with each other.

Registered
Not sure why you are removing the pulley. It is not necessary to remove the pulley to do the belts. If the car has been "sleeping" for 24 years you got a lot more to do than belts. Tires, cleanng the fuel system, brake system, clutch hydraulics, cooling system, wiper blades, battery, just to name a few of the things that also need attention. I would leave the pulley alone for now unless you have a really good reason to take it off. Be VERY careful about the cam timing. This is an "interference" motor and you can bend valves. Flush and change ALL of the fluids.
David Teitelbaum

Registered
You do need to remove the crankshaft pulley on a 4-cylinder Esprit because the front cover timing mark casting is too close to the pulley to remove the belt.

Reactions: carbuff

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heat, penetrating oil, patience. 24 years is a long time and the pulley and crankshaft have become very familiar with each other.
Thanks for the feedback! Someone had mentioned to me before to be careful adding heat in that area. They had said there was an oil seal that could be damaged with high heat?
Which penetrating oil do you suggest?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure why you are removing the pulley. It is not necessary to remove the pulley to do the belts. If the car has been "sleeping" for 24 years you got a lot more to do than belts. Tires, cleanng the fuel system, brake system, clutch hydraulics, cooling system, wiper blades, battery, just to name a few of the things that also need attention. I would leave the pulley alone for now unless you have a really good reason to take it off. Be VERY careful about the cam timing. This is an "interference" motor and you can bend valves. Flush and change ALL of the fluids.
David Teitelbaum
Thanks David
I have done a lot of work on the car prior to this belt. I have done everything on your list besides the clutch so far. What else do you suggest I do?

Registered
Kroil if you can find it. Otherwise I have had success with Liquid Wrench. It helps to spray the front and the back side of the pulley at the crankshaft and tap it lightly with a hammer to provide some vibrations to help wick the oil into the joint.

Reactions: SamCon7

Registered
When you wake up a car that has been "sleeping", once you get it going you will find all sorts of things that will need attention. The systems that hold fluids do not age well and the rubber deteriorates. Even if it seems good and looks fine it seems to age very fast and goes bad quickly. All the rubber bushings in the suspension will probably go bad, all of the seals for the tie rod ends and ball joints will crack, etc. You can either fix things as they go bad or you can be proactive and just do everything. One way to prolong things would be to spray silicone on all of the seals and do a very through grease job. One way or another you will find yourself basically rebuilding the car. For the leather get leatherique rejuvinator (leatherique.com) and slather it on to bring the leather back to life.
David Teitelbaum

Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
I wonder if candle wax would work?

Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
I've done that if you can get a torch to it and get the candle to contact the threads. Works great.
As was mentioned, the front main seal is behind the crank sprocket, so be careful. Of course, that seal is often replaced whenever fine timing belts are replaced. :giggle:

Registered
Kroil is the best penetrating fluid. Add liberally and let it go to work. I鈥檝e used a wooden wedge inserted behind the pulley and very gently tapped it. Rotated the wedge to a different position and tapped it again. Repeat, repeat repeat. Worked well

Registered
Kroil is the best penetrating fluid. Add liberally and let it go to work. I鈥檝e used a wooden wedge inserted behind the pulley and very gently tapped it. Rotated the wedge to a different position and tapped it again. Repeat, repeat repeat. Worked well
Key point is to rotate the wedge - NOT the pulley...

Reactions: 1977S1

Registered
1 - 18 of 18 Posts