The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought my first Esprit today. Flew in drove her home. 5 hour drive back home... First time in a Esprit... It took awhile to get a hang of the shifting but it's not so bad. I probably shouldn't have wore dress shoes.

Okay for the two issues the car has..

On the highway the coolant temp stays in the middle and every here and there will go slightly above that. Sitting at lights for awhile or low gear creeps it starts to get near the 100 mark... Any ideas where I should look first?

Second issue:

The headlights were working fine. I pulled over to grab food and when I went to leave the headlights didn't work but everything else did. So I turned the brights on and 3 lights are lit.. Every light but the furthest right if you look at the car from the front.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Temp sounds normal. The gauge is not that accurate, but temp should stay above 82 and below 100 or so. Just make sure that at low speed or idle that the fans kick in as the temp rises toward 100. My SE kicks in at 95 on the gauge, and my S4 at about 102(Freescan shows about 98 if I remember). The fans should drop the temp about 8-10 degrees.

As to headlights, check bulb then contact then relays and switches.

Randy

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Temp sounds normal. The gauge is not that accurate, but temp should stay above 82 and below 100 or so. Just make sure that at low speed or idle that the fans kick in as the temp rises toward 100. My SE kicks in at 95 on the gauge, and my S4 at about 102(Freescan shows about 98 if I remember). The fans should drop the temp about 8-10 degrees.

As to headlights, check bulb then contact then relays and switches.

Randy
The cars creeps towards 100 fairy quick at idle after the long drive. It was cold last night too probably mid 50s. I'm pretty sure the fans didn't kick on, between the past two days I have a handful of sleep. I should have thought of that.

Where are the fuses or relays for the fans?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
As for the driving with shoes, I find it easiest to either just wear socks or go barefoot. My size 12s don't fit well in the Esprit with shoes on. shoes off = no problem.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You'll need to get a manual, either electronic or paper, in order to do repairs on the cars. There are a lot of relays and fans and they are somewhat scattered on the cars, and vary between Turbos, SE's, S4, and S4S. There is a fuse for each fan and there is a fan relay. If I recall correctly on your car it is in the forward bonnet, on the driver's side under a black cover (there is a series of relays and fuses under this cover). It is immediately in front of another fuse box which has a plastic clear cover.

Also you should get (for free) Freescan

FreeScan

so you can hook a laptop to the car via an ALDL connection to see what is going on as far as the info that the ECU is receiving from the various sensors. F or example, the sensor that feeds the temp gauge in the cockpit is not the same data going to the ECU as what goes to the dash instrument (one is reading at the thermostat, the other at the manifold). We have found these to be sometimes be notably different - the temp gauge is reading higher than the data sent to the ECU. The fans are coming on based on what goes tot he ECU. not what the dash gauge says. With Freescan hooked up you can see what temperature the ECU is "seeing" and compare it to the dash gauge. The fans are going to respond tot he ECU temp, as the ECU controls the fans off/on function via a relay.

Also remember that if your AC is working properly you can always "force" the fans on by flipping on the AC switch.

Also a common issue with overheating is that the radiator is obstructed with a lot of dirt and debris. Unfortunately for an Esprit cleaning the exterior of the radiator thoroughly is no easy task (I am referring to external cleaning of the rad not internal cleaning or rodding of the radiator). Because it is so low to the road surface the radiator picks up a lot of materials that eventually can obstruct the air flow. In order to thoroughly clean it you have to remove it from the car. This is a pretty good-size task. Take a look at the front of the radiator and get an idea of how much material appears to be coating the front surface.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,850 Posts
Congrats on your purchase.

"Your First Esprit"? Are you planning to buy more??? :panic:

You didn't mention the mileage on your car, but it's possible that the radiator is clogged with road debris. This is common on Esprits due to the low air intake.

Of course, the first steps should be as Randy mentioned, be sure that all three fans are operating. With the car off -eek-, crawl under and spin the blades by hand, if any are noticeably "tighter" than the others you may have found a problem.

A/C use can also contribute to high idle temps BTW. The A/C condenser is ahead of the radiator, so it tends to pre-heat the radiator's cooling air.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'll need to get a manual, either electronic or paper, in order to do repairs on the cars. There are a lot of relays and fans and they are somewhat scattered on the cars, and vary between Turbos, SE's, S4, and S4S. There is a fuse for each fan and there is a fan relay. If I recall correctly on your car it is in the forward bonnet, on the driver's side under a black cover (there is a series of relays and fuses under this cover). It is immediately in front of another fuse box which has a plastic clear cover.

Also you should get (for free) Freescan

FreeScan

so you can hook a laptop to the car via an ALDL connection to see what is going on as far as the info that the ECU is receiving from the various sensors. F or example, the sensor that feeds the temp gauge in the cockpit is not the same data going to the ECU as what goes to the dash instrument (one is reading at the thermostat, the other at the manifold). We have found these to be sometimes be notably different - the temp gauge is reading higher than the data sent to the ECU. The fans are coming on based on what goes tot he ECU. not what the dash gauge says. With Freescan hooked up you can see what temperature the ECU is "seeing" and compare it to the dash gauge. The fans are going to respond tot he ECU temp, as the ECU controls the fans off/on function via a relay.

Also remember that if your AC is working properly you can always "force" the fans on by flipping on the AC switch.

Also a common issue with overheating is that the radiator is obstructed with a lot of dirt and debris. Unfortunately for an Esprit cleaning the exterior of the radiator thoroughly is no easy task (I am referring to external cleaning of the rad not internal cleaning or rodding of the radiator). Because it is so low to the road surface the radiator picks up a lot of materials that eventually can obstruct the air flow. In order to thoroughly clean it you have to remove it from the car. This is a pretty good-size task. Take a look at the front of the radiator and get an idea of how much material appears to be coating the front surface.

I appreciate the long write-up. The owner is sending me the service manuals digitally. I will look into free scan. Cool tool for free! The fans never kicked on so I will look into the relays in a bit. I'm sure it will take me forever to find out how to open the front bonnet :) !

As for using no shoes the clutch is very stiff. It was replaced 3k miles ago and I'm unsure at the moment if it was anything aftermarket.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well apparently the owner says when it reaches around 100 on the gauge the fans kick on. It's never touched the 100 mark but it gets close and would scare me. After poking around online that is somewhat normal.

AS for the front bonnet I cannot find the U-Shape wire to save my life!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The u-shaped wire for the bonnet is just to the left of the steering column and just above where the leather ends on the knee bolster. Stick your head under there with a flashlight if you can't feel it.

100 degrees is nothing to worry about with the pressurized system. As Randy said the fans should be coming on somewhere around 95 degrees and the temp should drop noticeably fairly quickly. If it starts gettting close to 110 then you should be concerned. 90-100 degrees is a good normal operating range.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The U shaped wire that unlocks the front bonnet is a small gage metal handle that is essentially a piece of wire shaped like a handle connected to a tube that pivots to unlock the bonnet on each side near the windshield. When it is locked it is pushed up flush with the knee bolster just a little to the left of the steering column. Keep feeling for it, the part you grab is also parallel to the forward edge of the leather trim/knee bolster. If it is unlocked it will be pivoted to the front of the car, but normally at highway speeds the front bonnet will lift a little if not locked down.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I also have an S4. That engine temp. is normal. Run your a.c. as suggested, and see if the fans kick on. Look under the driver's side dash with a flashlight and you will see the U-wire. You need to know where that is in case you get a flat tire!!! Good luck, these are GREAT cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts