The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

So I ended up buying the 95 S4 I was looking at and it is in the shop getting a full Service C (belts, water pump, fluids, etc.) to bring it current. One of the past owners replaced the muffler and configured it for dual exhaust pipes. I have always liked the dual exhaust look anyway. The one thing I wished was that the car had just a bit more aggressive sound. I don't really want to spend a fortune here and was looking to see if there are any fairly inexpensive mods that would be an option. Do I look at just changing the muffler, straight pipes or are there other inexpensive options availalble? Thanks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Didn't we just do this thread?

Choices are to remove cat, or go to high flow cat. Also a smaller muffler/bigger pipes.

With the right setup it can sound like a Harley or something a little more pleasant.
In all cases delete the Exhaust Backpresure Valve if not done.

Randy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't we just do this thread?

Choices are to remove cat, or go to high flow cat. Also a smaller muffler/bigger pipes.

With the right setup it can sound like a Harley or something a little more pleasant.
In all cases delete the Exhaust Backpresure Valve if not done.

Randy
Maybe I missed that thread!

Not really interested in removing or replacing the cat. Definitely don't want the Harley sound but just something more throaty within a budget since I know you can spend a lot depending on what you ultimately want. I know it is subjective but what is the biggest bang (or sound) for the buck?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,098 Posts
Buy a flowmaster
Actually a Magnaflow is better-made and can be had in stainless, both single and dual-tip. (I've seen a few Flowmasters rusting...just an observation)

Does anyone know why a stainless system sounds more 'mellow'? (Basso Profundo) (Not just on the Esprit, but on any car)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Vortech also makes a dual outlet unit that's for the Camaro.

The Vortech sounds a little deeper ,and isnt as loud as the Magneflow.

Alan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buy a flowmaster
Actually a Magnaflow is better-made and can be had in stainless, both single and dual-tip. (I've seen a few Flowmasters rusting...just an observation)

Does anyone know why a stainless system sounds more 'mellow'? (Basso Profundo) (Not just on the Esprit, but on any car)
Thanks for all of the input. Do you know which model fits the S4? I see input that states they also fit the Camaro but don't know what year or model Camaro either of these may fit. Guess I could just call the company and ask but thought I would ask here first.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks for all of the input. Do you know which model fits the S4? I see input that states they also fit the Camaro but don't know what year or model Camaro either of these may fit. Guess I could just call the company and ask but thought I would ask here first.

I just bought one a month ago to copy a muffler that I had.
Please be aware that this is just the muffler, you will need tips and someone to build you the pipes. I think the mufffler was about $150. It is a dual outlet with an offset inlet, and outlets on both ends. Polished.

I will see if I can get the part number.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,098 Posts
Please be aware that this is just the muffler, you will need tips and someone to build you the pipes. I think the mufffler was about $150. It is a dual outlet with an offset inlet, and outlets on both ends. Polished.
Better get familiar with the phrase "some fettling required" rotfl

Once Randy gets you a number, you could cross-reference..

The key dimension is the 2.5" inlet on the left hand side.

Once you obtain (or have a muffler shop obtain) the muffler, the shop needs to make the finishing pieces Randy mentioned.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Magnaflow 14266

For Camaro

2.5" inlet , dual 2.25" offset outlets.

The inlet points to the driver side, and the muffler is a 5x8" oval with an 18" body. It will center very nicely behind and under the transmission.

If you want to go all custom you could go with the 3" inlet 2.5" dual outlet one, part # 14267 and build a 3" downpipe with either no cat or a high flow cat

Randy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts