The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you guys probably want to knock someone's teeth out every time they post a oil thread... I searched around and found a bunch of old threads with a million different types..

Basically is Mobil One 15-50 fine? Their "Racing" oil...

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I'd feel comfortable with whatever the manual says for your car. Did you get an owners manual with the car?

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Times have changed, but that engine is still 20 years old and it was designed and tested with the oil specs in that manual. I would go with the manual because that is Lotus tested. But that's just me.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Your choices on oil include Mobil 1 15-50, Mobil VTwin 20-50 Motorcycle oil( apparently the old Mobil One 20-50), Castrol10-60 synthetic only available thru BMW at $20/liter. Some also use Redline.

I run The V Twin 20-50 about $10/qt but higher zinc content than the auto oils.

Use an oil filter with an anti-drain valve like the K&N or Mobil 1, or the OEM

Randy

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Times have changed, but that engine is still 20 years old and it was designed and tested with the oil specs in that manual. I would go with the manual because that is Lotus tested. But that's just me.
+1,000,000,000! I cringe when I read about some "oil pros" trying to recommend 5w30 oil for our Esprits or whatever other gimmicky crap they are trying to push. The Esprit 4-pot needs thick, quality oil. 15/50 Mobil is great. Valvoline VR1 20/50 is also right in my manual. Castrol 10/60 is too.

Dont fall for the whiny "But the wear at startup will kill the engine so you'd better try 0w20 oil or something". Yeah, right - you will destroy your engine using that watery stuff. Thick and gooey is the goal here.

Use the right oil. :up:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1,000,000,000! I cringe when I read about some "oil pros" trying to recommend 5w30 oil for our Esprits or whatever other gimmicky crap they are trying to push. The Esprit 4-pot needs thick, quality oil. 15/50 Mobil is great. Valvoline VR1 20/50 is also right in my manual. Castrol 10/60 is too.

Dont fall for the whiny "But the wear at startup will kill the engine so you'd better try 0w20 oil or something". Yeah, right - you will destroy your engine using that watery stuff. Thick and gooey is the goal here.

Use the right oil. :up:

Sounds good. I appreciate the tips. Also the car doesn't have a drain plug per say it's like a star head fitting... Kinda strange.. I'm wondering if there is even a washer behind it. I'm hoping it wasn't stripped out at some point... Or maybe that is normal for the car

·
Registered
860 Posts
it is a large allen head bolt for the pan drain. It should be a "star."

I forget the size though.....maybe M12???

I happened to have one because it was the same size as a transmission drain plug from my Infiniti. I had to shorten the socket as the Lotus has less access. I think I bought the socket from snap-on.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it is a large allen head bolt for the pan drain. It should be a "star."

I forget the size though.....maybe M12???

I happened to have one because it was the same size as a transmission drain plug from my Infiniti. I had to shorten the socket as the Lotus has less access. I think I bought the socket from snap-on.
Correct. I read on some lotus fact file, I think that's the name.. It was supposed to be a 19mm according to that. No big deal though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts