The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to find out how many S4s are still on the road?? Lotus Limited Roster only shows nine in the club, but not all Esprit owners are in the club. Just curious:scratchhead:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Okay, let's start the Lotus Talk tally. I have a 94 S4 and I know Bob Weber on this group has an S4 as well. That's 2.
He is not asking about a pedestrian S4, he is talking about the mighty S4s :grin2:

I have always wondered if there was a way to query the State Vehicle registration rolls and see how many specific models were registered. You can do that with real estate....its actually shocking how much personal info you can get from the real estate records now that they are on line.

When I was a teenager I used to dream about finding every Ferrari 308 in the state and writing a letter to the owner to see if they would sell it and make a lowball..Something I could afford with my paper route money ......

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Every State DMV has search features. You have to get the form and file it with a fee. It can get expensive and some States can take a long time to respond. Each State has it's own rules and fees.

·
Super Moderator
3,865 Posts
I don't have an S4s but I did buy a rear passenger window that is from an S4s from slava81.
It was a spare for my late 88, but guess I should put it up for sale as doesn't work as a spare for my 87.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
By my estimate there are less than 100.
Besides the 50 States there are also Legal Possessions if you want to include everything. Just the 50 States can get expensive though. Some States only charge a few bucks and others are well over $100. To date, no one has felt the need to spend the bucks. I suppose, if you had to have an S4s it is a way of finding them all so you could try to buy one. Another way would be to inquire at all of the Lotus shops and vendors and ask if they have serviced or sold parts for any S4s's and locate some that way. Maybe Carfax or other service can find you some too. Be careful, it is possible to make an S4 look like an S4s. If you really want a legit S4s you must make sure it is authentic.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got an S4s as well.

I've always been surprised that no one ever started an online registry to track them. There are definitely more than 9 in Lotus Ltd. I've never returned the form listing the cars I own, etc., so mine is not listed in their directory. I doubt I'm the only one.

According to Andy Graham, there were 145 imported to the US. He told me in October 2016 that the US serial numbers run to 159, but some of those cars were reworked to ex-US specs. He does not know why. My car was completed 9/18/95 and is #131, but serial number 134, so most of those repurposed cars came late in 1995. Perhaps they realized that some in process cars would not land in the US before January 1, 1996 and had to make other plans because they weren't OBD2 compliant? I'm curious to know what happened to them (i.e., are there 14 RoW S4s's with US 3xxx serial numbers? Or were they sold in US spec to other nations? Or did they just scratch those serial numbers and assign new ones?). I would presume that Andy could look this up, but I didn't want to bug him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a BRG S4s that is not on any list or any dealership radar. 18k mile garage queen.

Terry
'05 Elise
'95 Esprit S4s
'78 Esprit S2
'68 Europa type 54
'67 Europa S1
'66 Elan S1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts