The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade the original speakers I have on my 91 Espriit SE. Any recommendations on Mfgs/model of speakers that will fit behind the seats?
I remember reading that depth is an issue and only certain 6.5 inch speakers will fit back there. Any idea on what the specs are?
Thanks!
Chandra
91SE Pearl White

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,863 Posts
We replaced our speakers back in 2005, and while I don't remember the specifications, I DO remember needing to exchange the first ones we got. Our choice was probably superseded many years ago, anyway.

We settled on a mid-range set of speakers. Sound is OK, but not really 'full'.:(

Yes, the issue was one of depth. Best plan would be to bring your old ones to an auto audio store, or measure them and ask a place like Crutchfield.com.

For better bass, there are old Topics here about using a small sub between the seats (in the backbone's 'map pocket'). We never did that, though.

Good luck! The sweet sound of the engine provides the most pleasure, anyway! ?

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Hard to give a recommendation, speakers change all the time and what could have been bought a year or 2 ago may no longer be available. The best advice is to contact a company like Crutchfield and they can help you select something. Depending on what you want, the prices range wildly from inexpensive (cheap) to "How can they charge that much for that little speaker?" kind of price. Be skeptical of the expensive ones, in most cases you won't notice all that much difference. Especially if you don't do a lot of soundproofing, rewiring, expensive radio, and amps. Because the Lotus is a noisy car, the engine inches behind your ears, you don't have to spend a lot on speakers.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts