The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a late 2000 esprit and am trying to find a local shop to service my esprit. No know issues currently but trying to be proactive. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
There is an official dealer in St. Pete.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just talked with them. They just started servicing Lotuses about 4 months ago. Main work is on Land Rovers. I'll speak with the svc. director tomorrow to get specifics. Talked with the svc. tech. at the Orlando dealership and he's actually worked on esprits but I was trying to find somewhere closer. Thanks again.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I would not let anyone touch my Esprit if they are just getting started with Lotuses in general. An Esprit is not an Elise or an Evora anyway, so there it no benefit if they know those cars.

Dealers put their service guys on commissions, which means they aren't going to study anything before they start breaking things. A guy here in Houston had the new dealer tech do a cam belt change and clearly he couldn't be bother to even look at the manual. Blown engine.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've had my Esprit in at the Orlando Lotus dealership twice now and each time I have been pleased with the work and service. A few months ago I had all the belts and pulleys changed without any problems; the work was done on time and on budget.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Just talked with them. They just started servicing Lotuses about 4 months ago. Main work is on Land Rovers. I'll speak with the svc. director tomorrow to get specifics. Talked with the svc. tech. at the Orlando dealership and he's actually worked on esprits but I was trying to find somewhere closer. Thanks again.
Considering that I was getting warranty work for my Lotus done there about 3 years ago, I don't know who you were speaking with. They have been services Lotus for years. When I came to Orlando 3 years ago the Lotus Orlando didn't exist so I had to go to the one in St. Pete. I had all good experiences as well. Never a problem with a loaner and they fought to get everything done for me, like getting my steering rack replaced under warranty.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Considering that I was getting warranty work for my Lotus done there about 3 years ago, I don't know who you were speaking with. They have been services Lotus for years. When I came to Orlando 3 years ago the Lotus Orlando didn't exist so I had to go to the one in St. Pete. I had all good experiences as well. Never a problem with a loaner and they fought to get everything done for me, like getting my steering rack replaced under warranty.
What Lotus car was that?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
For what it's worth I have not heard anything but bad stories for the St. Pete/Tampa Lotus dealer, including dropping an Esprit off a lift. I once went there to order some parts for my car and they told me to go someplace else....

:huh:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
What Lotus car was that?
Elise. The other poster didn't say that the just started services Esprit but just Lotus in general. Which would not be the case.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
For what it's worth I have not heard anything but bad stories for the St. Pete/Tampa Lotus dealer, including dropping an Esprit off a lift. I once went there to order some parts for my car and they told me to go someplace else....

:huh:
Last time I drove by the dealership, like yesterday, the Lotus sign was gone. Removed... I thought they discontinued that portion of the operation...

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
More and more you have to be willing to service an Esprit yourself if you want to own one. Or at least have a great working relationship with a competent mechanic and do all the research on any operation for them so they know what to do. They just can't be expected to do a bunch of research on a car that is so rare.

I do most of my own work now after some bad experiences with a "Lotus" mechanic and for things I can't really do, like refilling AC and alignment, I learn how to do it and then show them what they need to do. Not all mechanics can deal with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll talk with the Svc. director tomorrow at the Sarasota dealership to get a feel for their expertise on Esprits, however, after speaking with the actual Lotus mechanic in Orlando, I felt that he had the experience and tenure to do a good job. I anticipate replacing the clutch at some point so I'm trying to find the right outfit now. I bought the AP racing clutch disks, roll pins, axle O rings and seals from JAE and will hold until needed.(Since they will remove the axle joints from the tranny anyway, I figured I'd replace the axle seals and O rings at the same time.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have an 83 Esprit and live in Tampa. Dimmitt Lotus in St Pete sold their Lotus dealership to SouthPointe Land Rover & Lotus in Sarasota earlier this year. I took mine down there and the guy told me he was new to Lotus and would prefer to pass on working on my car. I appreciated his honesty.

Call Derek Fisk @ Orlando Lotus. I took mine there and was very pleased with their work.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I talked with Derek and was reassured they would easily be able to handle my needs. A clutch disk replacement and axle seal job is expected to take about 2 days given that the chief mechanic works on other cars too. Did you wait for your repair or stay over until the work was completed? When the time comes I'm not sure how i'll get the car over there. Will probably drive it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I attended the Concours D'Elegance car show on Park Avenue Winter Park FL yesterday; there was just one Lotus on display a new white Evora from Lotus of Orlando.

I did speak to one of the guys from the dealership and he told me that Craig their chief mechanic mentioned above had won the Aston Martin tech of the year award so that is encouraging if you had any doubts about them servicing your car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. I had the opportunity to talk with Craig about 2 weeks ago and when I followed up with Derek, he told me about the Aston Martin award. I'll check to see if they can provide me with a loaner car since the job will take a couple of days.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Did you wait for your repair or stay over until the work was completed? When the time comes I'm not sure how i'll get the car over there. Will probably drive it.
One of the big logistical concerns with driving your car to Orlando is how will you get back to Tampa. Someone will need to follow you over and bring you back home, which could be hard to arrange during weekdays. Since my DD is a Ford E350 diesel van, I just rented a u-haul car trailer to take the Esprit over there and I left the car there.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts