The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Integrator
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious...
How many "spare" parts my Lotus Brothers have stashed in their garages?

Are you buying parts "just in case you may need them"?

As soon as they show up on the ebay?

I admit, I"m guilty of hoarding, but I don't drink or gamble. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,040 Posts
I'm curious...
How many "spare" parts my Lotus Brothers have stashed in their garages?

Are you buying parts "just in case you may need them"?

As soon as they show up on the ebay?

I admit, I"m guilty of hoarding, but I don't drink or gamble. :)
Yes - I am a hoarder and not proud of it. I have a stash of 88 Esprit parts and some S4 interchangeable parts. 'Just in case'.

And why not? You can't go to Oreilly for the 'tricky' stuff.

And I don't drink or gamble, but do have plenty of other vices to make up for it. :facepalm

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
With my car nearly 30 years old I'll get what I can. If you need a part and cannot find it your car is nothing more than a boat anchor.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Why yes I do. I even got parts even though I did not have an Esprit knowing (hoping) that I would one day get one again. Those parts are finally going into car in the next few days. Even today my wife made a comment about all these Raid air bag steering wheels in the living room that I got at the clearance sale. LOL.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hoard away!! Esp. For those REALLY hard to find parts.

I had bought a prefabbed Exhaust manifold that was jet hotted on the outside only, as a spare for a rainy day. Thanks to Al Brussich for that group buy. While I am selling my car, this jem will stay in the garage for the future. I am sure I will own another Stevens someday, and the piece could be lifesaver!! In addition, the spare glass rooftop will never leave the leave the stable either!!

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Hoard away!! Esp. For those REALLY hard to find parts.

I had bought a prefabbed Exhaust manifold that was jet hotted on the outside only, as a spare for a rainy day. Thanks to Al Brussich for that group buy. While I am selling my car, this jem will stay in the garage for the future. I am sure I will own another Stevens someday, and the piece could be lifesaver!! In addition, the spare glass rooftop will never leave the leave the stable either!!
Shhhhhh....your not supposed to say that when selling your car. The future buyer may now want those items thrown into the deal LOL.

I have an extra manifold too. But Tim wanted me to experiment with my spare. In his words we have an opportunity to benefit other owners that may have a defective manifold. It has a crack by #3 and as time permits after my engine rebuild we will attempt to fusion weld it after heating it in a kiln, then do a slow cool over a day or two days thus avoiding the cast iron turning brittle.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I used to hoard parts for my sports cars...lots and lots of boxes of parts for ferrari and porsche etc....but as I've gotten older I've realized most of this stuff just sits around collecting dust. Dizzy caps and rotors and water pumps and brake pads do get used....but what about suspension arms or cam shafts or headlight buckets? This stuff just sits the vast majority of time.

So I got rid of most of my spare parts so my garage is spacious and clean and tidy. Now I just have the normal consumables (caps and rotors, brake pads, etc.). If I need parts then they can usually be found pretty efficiently on the interweb thingy.

·
Super Moderator
4,040 Posts
Ferraris and Porsche production numbers are like 3-5X of an Esprit. That's why I hoard Esprit parts ( well that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ferraris and Porsche production numbers are like 3-5X of an Esprit. That's why I hoard Esprit parts ( well that's my story and I'm sticking to it)
That's a good point Eddie. Of course, some of those Esprit parts also came on Austin Marina's, TR7's, Toyota Celicas.....

·
Super Moderator
4,040 Posts
[snip] Of course, some of those Esprit parts also came on Austin Marina's, TR7's, Toyota Celicas.....
I'm not hoarding those parts - mainly Esprit-specific (e.g. Bosch CIS specific electronic relays, window glass (all of the glass is specific to Esprit), rear Toyota tail lights (the factory Esprit version IS slightly different trim-wise), rear lower valance, fog lights (common to VW but still hard to find).

No need to hoard factory front 88 calipers/discs (84 Toyota Celica Supra) - I got my latest from O'Reilly in 2013.

But even parts from Austin Marinas and TR7s are not exactly common in 2014 either.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When i bought my car years ago I knew little about the S4 so I bought a engine and a tranny. I sold the trans to a kit car guy when after 10 years I only drove 20k miles, now the car is for sale and the engine MUST go and no takers I wish I had pass on it so hoarding has its downsides.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
When i bought my car years ago I knew little about the S4 so I bought a engine and a tranny. I sold the trans to...
Similar story here. I bought the improved Derek Bell tranny upgrade from Holloway because I was fearful of the UN1 and later decided as long as I did nothing crazy, the UN1 was fine and sold the upgrade and then ended up with an alum radiator replacement and eventually sold it.

Now trying to get rid of a Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth injector... Decided the power level of a V8 is already borderline insane and to install the injectors into the compression tubes looks like a PITA.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Now trying to get rid of a Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth injector... Decided the power level of a V8 is already borderline insane and to install the injectors into the compression tubes looks like a PITA.
Old Lotus owner Willy Q had that on his Esprit..plus other upgrades. That car was stupid fast!! Talk about a product that made a huge hp gain.

D

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have so many spare parts for the Esprit/Renault/MR2's, I actually had to build a dedicated room and shelving in my basement for them all...the room is affectionately known as the parts department...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts