The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, is there anyone out there that has an Esprit and wants to get rid of the unsightly "Truck sized" steering wheel.

Perhaps I can help anyone contemplating this, as I have recently gained experience and additional Momo and adapters etc. Although there are some "how to's ' on the web there is stuff left out.. I will be happy to assist with that knowledge and just how easy it is to "cheat" the air bag warning lights etc.

Let me know if I can help or you just want to buy the bits.

Regards

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would love to change the steering wheel, but is there anyway to do this but still have an airbag? Are there 'airbagged' alternate steering wheels available for Lotus Esprit? (I have a 99 v8)..

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,313 Posts
I would love to change the steering wheel, but is there anyway to do this but still have an airbag? Are there 'airbagged' alternate steering wheels available for Lotus Esprit? (I have a 99 v8)..
You can fit a RAID steering wheel with airbag. They are available in several styles.

BUT you need a hub adapter for the Esprit, available (sporadically) from Jim K in Florida.

LEO Wheel Install Page

The conversion is easy, only requires one wire to be soldered.

PM me and I'll hook you up with Jim...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Really crappy pic and I apologize, I have a pretty poor interior and haven't taken many in there but I did get rid of the awful stock (and well worn) wheel in my S1 and replaced it with an older Fittipaldi E3 I had in a Saab years ago. Pretty much went right in with the adapter I used in the Saab. Took a while to get the Lotus emblem on the horn button right but it sure did improve the look and feel over the old stock one.

Don't mind the Saab emblem please. :)

Guys on the LEF forum have been putting Momo's in their cars (later models) so I know it's do-able.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from dead. I'm looking to add a MOMO wheel without airbag . Does anyone know which correct MOMO adapter to purchase? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
search around on the forum, there are several threads with the details.

its an isuzu hub

also look on ebay uk - i think there is some place selling one actually for an Esprit.

·
Super Moderator
4,178 Posts
Wow - the new website won't let me post a URL WITHIN the lotustalk.com? SMH.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a '98. I had an Exige in 06-09 then sold it. This site is funky now. Searched but could not find a thread that suited. Looking to mount a Momo Montecarlo.

·
Super Moderator
4,178 Posts
New site layout - is problematic (being kind)

The thread that works best for you is

Esprit 98 thread 1

Or if URL above is not working, search 'Steering wheel dilemma' in 'Search Community' top center of screen.

There is talk of the options

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I dont think there is one. IIRC you have to use the Grant Isuzu hub, grind it to fit, then add the 3 bolt to 6 bolt adapter so a Momo or similar will bolt on. There are some adapters on Ebay UK that advertise for the earlier Esprit but I think the spline changed on the later cars. There used to be an adapter advertised on Ebay UK that i thought would work but I did not see it until after I had gone the Grant route. I just looked and dont see it now.

Low Volume cars can be a PITA:) just not enough market for the manufacturers to justify the set up costs. Everything is Bespoke as the brits say.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for looking. I contacted the seller on eBay UK. I think there is probably a correct hub. The seller has asked for dims but my car is not out of storage yet.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
fwiw

the guy who had the hubs to adapt Elise wheels manufactured once posted the correct spline dimensions. If we could get the search function working we could probably find that dimension that he is looking for.

·
Super Moderator
4,178 Posts
Thanks, not really an answer in there. Seems like a lot of adapters.
As far as I understand, there is no single adapter. One member (years ago - I don't believe he's active anymore) had some custom adapter/wheel combination (and it wasn't inexpensive - my brain remembers it being well over $1200 (and that was several years ago). Yes - the site is painful to search - that's why I'm relying on my marginal brain. But to stress - it's not a matter of a simple adapter - the Isuzu adapter I heard works for some, but not others. If you have the patience, search the Esprit forum for 'RAID' 'Isuzu' and 'Elise steering wheel'.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts