The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Members:
I have been selling my 97 Esprit on this forum and Craigslist for quite a while. Super tired of trying to find a new home. Then couple weeks ago took my Esprit out for first ever canyon run up the Angeles Crest Mountain roads in southern California. Now, after hours of reviews and researching, think it would be a big mistake to sell it. Runs fantastic and looks almost brand new, especially for a 1997 car. Read there were only 175 examples made in 97. Ultra rare and supercar status for reasonable price. What more can I ask for ! So, my question is what suspension upgrade would you recommend. Current suspension is all original and stock and is in good condition. Down the road want to upgrade to Bilstein or ??? Lastly, I currently have a factory Lotus upgraded chip installed, would you recommend to swap it out for a Race ECU which I also have ?? What benefits would I gain?
Currently car runs so smooth and just fantastic, passed smog two weeks ago easily. I think am in love again, anybody in market for ultra custom 98 Mustang GT with 302 stroker/Vortech with 567 HP ! LOL Thanks and Happy New Year !

·
Integrator
2,863 Posts
{"Currently car runs so smooth and just fantastic, passed smog two weeks ago easily. I think am in love again,..."}

I would enjoy DRIVING my car for a change.
Too many of us spend 90% of the time "fixing" or "improving" our cars and spending tons of $$. Does it really matter if you'll be 1/2 second faster?
If it is well sorted out car, as you stated, drive it!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I drive mine every week, usually three days a week I drive it 60 miles to work and back, here in Seattle , only when it's above freezing, rain is no problem for the continental contacts. The more I drive it, the more I dislike my Volvo.

Don't sell it, drive it into the ground, then buy a replacement.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a 1974 Europa, a 2003 Esprit, and a 2005 Elise. Lotus, in one form or other is my daily driver. (The Europa doesn't run.) I hear of people messing with upgrades to suspension and stuff. I try to keep each as close to stock as possible. I don't really believe I have a better grasp of suspensions and handling than Lotus did when they made it. Trust me. A stock Lotus is a far better car than I am a driver. Cash would best be spent on track days and lessons for the driver. Mess with the suspension only after you have maxed out your talent. Just my opinion. But I do see how fun it could be to mess with it so not putting anyone down.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I went for the Lotus/Bilstein/Eibach setup. Pricey, I think the parts were around $3k, but its great stuff. Best street ride of any option. I thought it would be too floaty for track days, but I did a driving school event at Watkins Glen and it worked great. It was a Porsche Club event, and many of them were complaining about losing traction on rough spots. I still don't know where the rough spots are.

The other options will require suspension tuning on your part. If you understand how that works and don't mind spending some time getting it dialed in, you can probably get a better result. The Bilstein package is plug and play, or at that price maybe I should say plug and "pay". That package came from the factory on the Final Edition cars, and I think its great that Lotus engineering spent the time to develop a package for the older models. As Lotusdriver said, we buy these cars for what Lotus knows how to do with suspensions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts