The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for someone who knows these cars in the Charlotte area... The Lake Norman area would be even better but I can't be too picky! I have a slight transmission leak and can't seem to find where it's coming from and I don't trust any local shops dealing with it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hello, I am in Charlotte, Matthews actually (Currently in Afghanistan) and have just bought back my 94 S4 (had a Turbo Esprit and Elise previously). I will be back in Feb. We should meet up. Anyway, there is a group of Lotus guys around Lake Norman that meet up. They are mostly Elise/Exige owners. I can't remember their thread/forum but do a bit of searching and you may find them. They should have someone that can help you out. Otherwise, when I have a big job, I use a mechanic in Charleston SC that worked on my Lotus' for many years. I just had my S4 shipped to him to have a good going over before it was shipped home. He is technically retired, sold his Lotus/Jag repair biz in Surfside SC, but still has several cars that he still services. If you are really in need and willing to have it shipped or driven there, shoot me a PM and I will see if he can help you out.

Otherwise, transmission leaks are pretty common and some just deal with it. I had one when I first owned my S4 and had to have quite a few things done (replaced the clutch, cam belt etc) so it was fixed during that process. Otherwise, it can be quite expensive to pull the engine and replace the seal. That is assuming that is where it is coming from. Can you get any idea the location it is leaking from? (seal between the engine and trans? Around the shaft exits?)

Good luck, John

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, I am in Charlotte, Matthews actually (Currently in Afghanistan) and have just bought back my 94 S4 (had a Turbo Esprit and Elise previously). I will be back in Feb. We should meet up. Anyway, there is a group of Lotus guys around Lake Norman that meet up. They are mostly Elise/Exige owners. I can't remember their thread/forum but do a bit of searching and you may find them. They should have someone that can help you out. Otherwise, when I have a big job, I use a mechanic in Charleston SC that worked on my Lotus' for many years. I just had my S4 shipped to him to have a good going over before it was shipped home. He is technically retired, sold his Lotus/Jag repair biz in Surfside SC, but still has several cars that he still services. If you are really in need and willing to have it shipped or driven there, shoot me a PM and I will see if he can help you out.

Otherwise, transmission leaks are pretty common and some just deal with it. I had one when I first owned my S4 and had to have quite a few things done (replaced the clutch, cam belt etc) so it was fixed during that process. Otherwise, it can be quite expensive to pull the engine and replace the seal. That is assuming that is where it is coming from. Can you get any idea the location it is leaking from? (seal between the engine and trans? Around the shaft exits?)

Good luck, John

I live in the Lake Norman area. I never see any Lotus driving around. It just leaves a few drops on my garage, nothing major.. Just annoys me that it's leaking. The clutch was replaced a few thousand miles ago too. I may just change the trans fluid and deal with it. There's a rubber boot that looks to be some sort of linkage and the rubber boot has a little fluid on it. also the center of the trans has a little. Hard to tell. Whenever your back I would be down to meet up at some point. Don't be in a hurry to get back to the cold weather here :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts