The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,863 Posts
OOOOO...carbs! :bow:

And, just the common-to-fail parts (input shaft and primary shaft) are less than it would cost to buy from JAE or Harry Martens. :clap:

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Upstate NY, not that far. Looks like it was at the bottom of a lake? I wonder if it will even turn over.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Well, I would certainly show up with a socket and ratchet and see if it will spin at all. Looks awfully corroded. As Dave said either the bottom of a lake or sitting out exposed to the weather for a long time. If it turned I still wouldn't pay 3 grand for it...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Dang - And I was just out there with a trailer AND pickup for LOG...

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,863 Posts
What years is that unit out of?

Looks like it might of been on fire?
Carb'd turbos were sold '83 - '85 model years in the USA.

I see more corrosion than heat bubbling, but those engines were fitted initially with plastic fuel lines tees, which were subject to breakage and, umm, incandescence. :eek:

·
You can't make this up
1,167 Posts
And she's entered stage two of the addiction...
LOL,, Oh Mike,, It's much worse then that. I fell in love with a 1975 TR6 and a TR7 Spyder yesterday. I had the TVR 290 S3c out for a day in the sun at a Britfest show. I am afraid I am a hopeless case :UK:
Didn't Moses put one of each species on that arc???

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
722 Posts
Congratulations, When may we vultures begin pestering you for availability of various parts or sub-assemblies? >:)

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Now that you know it can rotate the next thing to check for is if the input shaft has welded itself to the crank. See if it shifts and goes into neutral. Also pull the dipstick and see what is in there. If you are really ambitious it would be nice to check compression by hooking a battery up to the starter. If it checks out then pull the pan and inspect the bearings. Maybe you don't want to part this one out. It may just look bad on the outside but is still OK inside. Just selling the transaxle and you can get more than you paid for it and if the motor is good you got a good motor for free.
David Teitelbaum

·
You can't make this up
1,167 Posts
Now that you know it can rotate the next thing to check for is if the input shaft has welded itself to the crank. See if it shifts and goes into neutral. Also pull the dipstick and see what is in there. If you are really ambitious it would be nice to check compression by hooking a battery up to the starter. If it checks out then pull the pan and inspect the bearings. Maybe you don't want to part this one out. It may just look bad on the outside but is still OK inside. Just selling the transaxle and you can get more than you paid for it and if the motor is good you got a good motor for free.
David Teitelbaum
I bought it for the transaxle but then having the motor isn't bad either. I am going to freshen up the trans for the day that I need a clutch or syncros get fuggly. But it might be fun to turbocharge my Jensen Healey. Lots of room under that hood. Now it will go on a stand in the garage at the Pennsy house until needed.

·
You can't make this up
1,167 Posts
Engine

Mike

I may end up selling the engine whole or minus hang on parts.
I am picking it up today and will see what I actually have, then decide what to do with it.
The trans is getting built for future use in Penelope if I ever switch out the clutch.

Jenna

1 - 20 of 29 Posts