The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Even rarer than I thought. I wonder, did all of them come stateside or were some ROW?
I'm particularly happy that mine has the GM fuel system as parts are readily available and reasonable. At LOG last August, I needed a fuel a fuel pump just as we got to the hotel! NAPA store in the next town had one on the shelf from a Berlinetta. $65 later, some blood sweat and beers, and she was up and running like new.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If I remember correctly it averages out to about 150 cars per year, or 712 total (G car turbo) according to what I got from the factory.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I found my notes about Federal turbo G- cars. I got these numbers a couple years ago from Andy Graham @ Lotus when I got my C/P, but you can take them for what they're worth. 1983- 150; 1984- 135; 1985- 105; 1986- 163; 1987- 159; for total of 712.
Does this help?

·
Integrator
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I found my notes about Federal turbo G- cars. I got these numbers a couple years ago from Andy Graham @ Lotus when I got my C/P, but you can take them for what they're worth. 1983- 150; 1984- 135; 1985- 105; 1986- 163; 1987- 159; for total of 712.
Does this help?
Yes, thank you Bob. Very telling numbers.

Only 1988 numbers are missing.
Anyone has those?

Let's assume that ~150 Esprits were imported in 1988.
That means, the total number of 4 cyl Esprits imported to USA is 1,710.
Total of V8-s is only 766!
Numbers further diminish due to accidents and attrition/dismantling.

MY POINT: These numbers warrant, that some Esprit models should be a desirable Collector's Items!
!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wow, that is lower than I thought, I probably should not be modifying mine. Its mostly bolt on I guess but still. I cant help myself I love compromising more toward performance than daily livability!

·
Integrator
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Erik,
It all depends on why you own the car.
If you have 40-th Aniversary or early G-car, I agree, keep it original.
Otherwise,
due to low reliability and design short cuts, keeping these cars "stock" is an insanity! They are no Ferraris and you can not make a profit by buying, fixing and selling them. You're always in the red.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts